Hog harness or deluxe harness with quick release?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_sirhc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys...i am thinking of venturing into the bp/w rig. However i do not know which path to take:the hog harness or the deluxe harness with quick release? my LDS told me to take the deluxe harness as i can unbuckle in case of any emergency.Appreciate any advice.Thanks in advance!

I got the hog, but I also bought a 2" quick release (from Seattle Fabrics, I think) that I can put into one shoulder strap if I want to. (I haven't yet, but I might later.) It's easy enough to add the quick release if you want to.

I've also heard of people using an extra buckle as a shoulder strap quick release. A metal buckle has the advantage of negating the potential breakage argument, and it's not like anyone would have a hard time figuring it out. :D

I started out with a Deluxe and switched to a Hog Harness.

The quick release latch on the Deluxe restricts where you can place a D-ring on that side. I know that doesn't sound like much of an issue, but for me it was.

Honestly, I find the Hogarthian Harness much easier to use. Frankly, I never really used the quick release latch, anyway.

YMMV

Jeff

I, too, changed from Deluxe to Hog. Wasn't using the QR and it made proper D-ring placement difficult. Also isn't any more comfortable, at least with any thermal protection.

Have you considered any other brands? Just curious.

scuba_sirhc:
Thanks guys...seems like hog wins the day...im intending to get the OMS 32 pund travel wing (http://www.omsdive.com/buoyancy.html) and the OMS aluminum bp rig...does anyone knows if it requires a STA?? Thanks
Doesn't require an STA if it has slots for cam bands in the wing and plate.

I have the steel backplate and it has the slots for threading camstraps through, although I've never used it like that- always doubles. One thing I really like about the backplate is that it has a 3 sets of holes for the bolts, so the height is adjustable, although if you are using the cam slots, you won't need this feature.

I have the 60lb wing for my doubles and it's tough as nails. Some would say the inflator is too long, but that's easy enough to remedy if it doesn't suit you.

shark.byte.usa:
Doesn't require an STA if it has slots for cam bands in the wing and plate.

oh what i meant was will the cam band slots for the wing and the cam band slots for the bp match?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom