HOG Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently bought the 32 lb hog for $200.....

No regrets at all.......

My cold water rig is now an H SS BP, Dive Rite Transpac Harness, Hog 32 lb wing, soft 2" crotch strap, Oxy STA with ScubaPro tank straps.....

To this I have added.....

4 SX Scuba weight pouches (on the tank straps, I don't use a weight belt), 2 Dive Right horizontal pockets, DR Vertical Mount Z-knife and a Deep Sea Squeeze Knife mounted on one off the pockets......

One pocket holds my Carter 35 lb DSMB (personal float), the other holds my mini-spool (with 30 feet of line) and compass, all clipped to the internal lines......

It is a great rig that does exactly what I need it to do and allows for perfect trim......

I will try and post pics later.....

M

.... Also, out of curiosity, why do the BPW setups seldomly come with shoulder dumps?

Thanks,
Claude

Because shoulder pull dumps (I'm assuming you mean the inflator hose pull dumps seen on some jacket style BC's) add complexity and are prone to failure.... I have never liked the idea of tugging on the inflator hose.... if I bought any BC or wing with a shoulder pull dump, I'd replace it with a fixed elbow.

I think I've read that you can convert the HOG fixed elbow to a shoulder pull dump.... but I'd highly recommend trying a few dives without the shoulder pull dump; most folks don't miss it.

Edit: If you meant just regular old dump valves located on the right shoulder of some BC's.... they are really not needed, and again just add a failure point. You can vent from the left lower dump when horizontal, or from the inflator hose when vertical.

Best wishes.

Here are the pics.....

M

Attachments

• IMG_0145.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0149.JPG
    IMG_0149.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 250
I have two 32lb and 58lb and happy as a pig err... hog :wink:

I recently bought the 32 lb hog for $200.....

My cold water rig is now an H SS BP, Dive Rite Transpac Harness, Hog 32 lb wing, soft 2" crotch strap, Oxy STA with ScubaPro tank straps.....

To this I have added.....

4 SX Scuba weight pouches (on the tank straps, I don't use a weight belt), 2 Dive Right horizontal pockets, DR Vertical Mount Z-knife and a Deep Sea Squeeze Knife mounted on one off the pockets......
@Jorgy: Nice rig. Is 32 lbs. of lift enough to keep your rig (full tank, BP, lead weight, reg, etc.) buoyant at the surface -- without you in it?

What struck me is that you said you don't use a weight belt...and that you appear to attach all of your lead weight to your rig. I'm assuming that you are diving in cold water which necessitates significant exposure protection, i.e., a 7mm (at least) wetsuit or a drysuit.

I use 10 lbs of lead with my 7mm, with hood and gloves.....truthfully I could sink with 8 but 10 works well for trim, 3 lbs on each side on the top band and 2 lbs in each lower pouch....

For diving wet lift I figure.....

8 lbs for SS BP and reg....
10 lbs for the lead to overcome the exposure protection.....
11 lbs for full LP 95 tank

So a 32 lb wing seems OK....

With my drysuit I will need to add more lead......if I get over 32 lbs (depending on undergarments) I might wear a belt with 4 or 6 lbs on it.....this also gives me some more easily ditchable weight, I can reach the lower pouches and pull the weight out if needed.....

Of course as I burn through PSI then the wing lift issue becomes less significant and the tank becomes much less negative at the end of the dive....

M

Hi Jorgy:

You and I are in the same boat and carry nearly the same amount of weight. With my 72cft Faber, a 7mm wetsuit and a 6.5mm vest, I need 12lbs of lead. I'm moving to a drysuit and don't know how much more weight I will require (better be just two to four lbs). I'm not sure if I should go with the 32lb bladder or a 40lb bladder. Also, do you find the hard metal plate uncomfortable? Would you suggest padding?

Thanks,
Claude

I can't feel my steel backplate at all with a 7mm suit on. Completely comfortable in and out of the water.

I took the padding off my BP - I don't feel any difference......:shocked2:

I think the pad offers a location for a lift bag, but my Carter was to big for the pocket, so used to keep on the bottom of the BP on bungees, but that pushed against my back when the wing was inflated, so now it rides around in a Dive Rite pocket on my waist strap......for me much more comfortable and easy to restow if needed

32 lb versus 40 lb.....for me the 32 lb is enough when I dive wet or dry with lighter undergarments.....once I layer up for 34 degree water I will probably add a weight belt with some lead on it, if I want all the lead on BP/W rig then I would technically need the a larger wing.....

Of course I have hard time thinking of an instance where I would need to float my rig with a full tank at the start of a dive, we do both shore and boat dives up here. The only time I have removed my rig on the surface was getting back on a RIB after a dive and my tanks go from -11 lbs full to -2 lbs empty (more like -5 lbs with some air in it), so I might start dive with a wing that is mathematically to small but that resolves itself as the dive continues......so I am still thinking about it.....:confused:

If you wear a weight belt then you get into the whole over/under crotch strap discussion....but that is another thread.....:D

M

Back
Top Bottom