Hogheads need bp/w....gear ops.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssflounder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
All,

Long time reader first time poster. I've been doing some research and would like some opinions for bp/w setup. I've looked at DSS and Diverite but only on the net. Any others I should look into?

I have been diving a bunch lately 4 dives per weekend and want to get away from the jacket. I probably won't ever go into a cave but wouldn't want to buy new gear if I decide in the future.

I do most of my diving in very low vis. creeks looking for shark teeth and artifacts hoping to find buried treasure to fund my retirement. Mostly in fall and winter since vis goes to crap in the summer and the fish are biting.

The gear I'm currently using which has worked great so far, Oceanic SP4/Alpha 7 with cheap slimline octo. (cheap beginner reg), Oceanic Flex jacket bc. int. wgts. I'm planning to get a 5' hose and just keep the octo meantime with plans to replace in future. This will be soon since I hate my octo hose now since I've been reading about necklaces!

BP- So far I like the dss ss bp with the option of adding extra weight pads. I feel this would be less weight later on the belt. I dive with about 36lbs using al80's or steel80's. I find this is the perfect weight for me allowing me to breath normal during slack and shallow during fast moving water. Our tidal range is a 7.5 so swift current is normal.

Wing- ? (something that won't rip open rubbing against a piling) Donuts, Horseshoes.....:confused:

Additional ? When I get the bp setup for a 7mm ws configured will I have to make adjustments if I dive without a ws?

when you say al80's are you talking multiple single tank dives or doubled tanks?
Another wing to look at for single tank's is the oxycheq signature series, Awesome wings, I the sig series has an inner bladder and outer shell that helps prevent the bladder for being torn.

I use the oxy 30lb for my singles
and the DSS 42lb donut for doubles, great wing
I prefer donut style wings for both apps over horseshoe.

I use some medium sized weight pockets on my waist strap of the harness for thicker suits when I need more weight. Switching from 7mm to skin is only a matter of adjusting your weight, SS plates on average are around 5lbs negative while AL are 1lb negative. neither one alone should put you overweight with just swim shorts on. I am perfect with shorts/rashguard, SS plate no extra weight and single 80. all depends on the person though.
So no the setup its self won't change from 7mm to skin, the only thing that will change is that you most likely won't need additional weight in pockets or on a belt.

Thanks for answering that. It seemed it might be a PITA to adjust the fitting on the harness for 1/4" of neoprene.

Yes multiple singles. I'm only diving in -30' so 1 bottle at a time is fine.

ssflounder:
Wing- ? (something that won't rip open rubbing against a piling) Donuts, Horseshoes.....:confused:

If you're concerned about rubbing up against pilings, you should look at an Oxycheq Mach V Extreme. Supposedly it's hard to cut with a razor. Happy rubbing.

The weight plates on the DSS system are really quite clever. My husband has the 8 lb plates, and they sit quite unnoticeably on the backplate and don't get in the way of anything. Beats the weight pockets on the camband, which have to be checked before every dive to make sure they're tucked up against the plate, or you feel like you're doing the whole dive on one side . . . :)

For diving dry with a bunch of weight and a single 80 I'd recommend the DUI weight and trim every time :)

If you use a basic SS plate that will drop 6 lbs off your belt, if you use weight plates for a DSS rig then noticeably more.

I use the DUI system with 28 lbs and a steel plate for singles drysuit diving. Works great.

As for wings, if you have a habit or running into sharp stuff I would definitely recommend against the Halcyon pioneer. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom