Holding a GoPro on a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brules, the pole makes the image very stable when your filming yourself, as you move with the camera. I'm curious to see how if performs while filming the "stuff" around you. I hold mine on a tray but still get some very shaky video.

I ordered a Quik Pod DSLR monopod for mounting my GoPro.. However, I also came up with this idea.. It's just a cheap $10 rubber band gun...Installed a GoPro mount on the front (cut some slots into the plastic) and secured the mount with zip-ties or you could epoxy the attachment to the front.. The zip ties hold the mount perfectly.. :D I cut slots (to fit the GoPro extension mount) on the top side of the gun, but decided to cut slots on the bottom and mount there as this would make the camera more stable. I may add a lanyard if I decide to use it..

IMG_0442.jpgIMG_0444.jpg

I use the "Grenade Grip" from GoPole GoPro® Poles, Mounts, Grips & Accessories - GoPole and use a lanyard from an old UK dive light to secure it to my wrist.

This "Bobber" I would NOT recommend for diving, unless like you said, it's lanyard is clipped on to you and not only wrapped around the wrist. These things are way positively buoyant and will just zip to the surface if you let it. Once saw a lady diving with it, she didn't loose it, but she mentioned she has to add an extra kilo to her weight belt to compensate for the grip's buoyancy.

You can't swim up that quick and if the water is choppy or there is current/wind, it's going to be hard to find it again.

I put together a bunch of links so that I could turn the housing around without switching the orientation either in-camera or in post.

So it looks like this big transformers link lol

I had a 2 section pole from some lawn thing, cut the end flat, stuck a flat gopro sticky mount for the quick disconnect and voila! instant gopro stick, that I can use long or short.

I had let the stick-on settle at least 24hrs before using it and it has held up fine over 4 saltwater uses. The gaffer tape is used since the stick is chrome metal.

p402521309-4.jpg

p47258478-4.jpg

I made mine out of a walking pole, a tripod adapter, a rubber expansion nut and some SS hardware from Home Depot. Total cost with tripod adapter about $25.
You can flip the camera back toward you or out in front in a few seconds. First video is all facing out on the end of the pole. Second video is a little of both, but at 1:07 thecamera is flipped back toward me. Expands out to almost 4', collapses down to about 20". I have a couple of carabiners and just clip the top and bottom to my BC to get it out of the when needed. Poles come apart to pack in a carry on.

IMG_1964.jpg

Florida Keys 2012 - Diving the Keys - YouTube

Eleuthera 2011 - YouTube- GoPro flipped back at 1:07.

Last edited:
This "Bobber" I would NOT recommend for diving, unless like you said, it's lanyard is clipped on to you and not only wrapped around the wrist. These things are way positively buoyant and will just zip to the surface if you let it. Once saw a lady diving with it, she didn't loose it, but she mentioned she has to add an extra kilo to her weight belt to compensate for the grip's buoyancy.

You can't swim up that quick and if the water is choppy or there is current/wind, it's going to be hard to find it again.

I agree...the "Bobber" is a buoyant handle that probably would not be that useful for diving. The "Grenade Grip" has a hollow handle and fills with water and is not buoyant. I do not have add any extra weight while using it.

Hi fishi,
Do you still carry it this way? Where did you get that clip and ring?

those clips are available in full brass or stainless, as Large Animal (Horses/Llamas) lead rope clips.

check your local farm or feed store, or on the web as such.

Hi fishi,
Do you still carry it this way? Where did you get that clip and ring?
On the second (shallower) dive I still carry it that way. Most of the clips in this video were filmed that way. Although I did add the flat surface base plate that comes with the camera, and that's not in the picture. With that on it I can set the camera down in the sand in front of my subject. That eliminates any shake and the only way to film some things like the jaw fish in this video. The brass clip acts as a weight and holds it down. I got the brass clip at my local dive shop. I think the biggest advantage to the gopro is it's small size. I don't like to put it on a tray unless I need lights and even then I don't want a big tray like the SRP one. I like a small tray that can be stowed when I'm not using it. I do like the SRP filter tho and have two.

On the first (deeper) dive I use the Light & Motion tray and two sola 1200 lights. Sometimes I take it with me even though the SD card is full and I can't shoot video, I like having two lights so I bring it with me just for the lights. Once you get use to diving with the lights you don't want to dive without them on some of the deeper dives with swim throughs or wrecks.

[video=vimeo;55739715]http://vimeo.com/55739715[/video]

I have a free subscription to Vimeo so I can't embed HD video. You have to click on HD to get the best picture.

Back
Top Bottom