Hollis DG03 Discontinued

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cruiser24

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Am considering getting the Hollis DG03 and found out from the Hollis website that it is discontinued.

Question - Should I pick one up now, will I have problems trying to get spare parts to this DC some time down the road?

Or should I just drop the idea and look for something else?

Advise pls. Many thanks

It is? I don't see it on their product page: Hollis Gear: DG03

It could be leftover from when they stopped sales in May due to a firmware issue regarding the wireless transmitter. Divegearexpress also stopped sales for a while and sent back their entire stock to be updated from the factory. They went back on sale a while ago and my buddy got one in September. Perhaps it'd be worth confirming with Hollis' support/sales reps or DGE?

As far as purchasing advice...the Hollis shares heritage with similar Aeris and Oceanic models. They use a standard battery that is easily found at the local CVS and is user replaceable, and I believe that the o-ring is easy to come by as well. I have replaced the battery on my DG03, it's a very easy fix. It is also supported by the USB driver that backs up SubSurface, so if they were to stop patching their software, you'd have an alternative (in fact, I'd suggest subsurface or another program over Hollis' dive software...it's arcane at best).

I have been happy with my DG03 and would recommend it, along with the matching bungee mount that DSS sells. It's an excellent computer for the price.

I like my DG03 a lot. I use it with the DSS bungee mount. I use it as a gauge, pressure receiver and logger, since I manage saturation via ratio deco. Downloading from the DG03 to MacDive works great, and along with the pressure sender, lets the software calculate minute by minute SAC rate for all my dives (along with tons of other useful info).

Learning which buttons to push in which order to access settings, etc takes a little doing, but that's the case with just about any computer of this style.

DiveGearExpress has GREAT prices on this unit. I believe all the ones they sell have updated firmware, so no worries there if you want to use it to manage your N2 saturation as well.

My only fear with DG03 being discontinued was being unable to buy accessories after the fact, so I bought it right out of the gate with pressure sender, bungee mount and PC cable. Turns out the sender is the same one they still sell for their DG05, so replacing this in the future (or adding up to 2 more senders) should not be an issue.

This unit is a great value. You can get the whole kaboodle for probably half what you'd pay for another brand. I have no complaints about it.

Hi milbournosphere n SanDiegoSidemount, many thanks for your feedback and advise. Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom