Hollywood Florida and beach dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jscubadive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I just came to Florida a few days ago, am in Marathon now for a week, but went to Hallandale Beach yesterday, looking at a place to live and would like to go beach diving again like I did many years ago off Hollywood FL. When I stopped by the beach yesterday around Cody street about four P.M., I saw alot of beach goers but not one dive flag out on the reef like I used to see. Does anybody still beach dive the reef? Last time I dove any ocean was off Sheridan street in 1988, so been sometime, and last dive I did was in a freshwater lake in TN in 2007. I am AOW certified through PADI and IDEA with over 200 logged dives, just none recent. Would like to find a dive buddy, though half my dives had been solo, to dive off Hollywood if I move to the area. Also I have been reading about the invasive Lionfish and wonder how prolific their numbers are? How bad is their sting if stung? Is it like a Portuguesse Man-o-war sting? I am 46 year old man, also in the market for some working used gear. I did my first checkout dives as a junior basic PADI scuba diver in 1979 with Divers Unlimited and we beach dove off Charleston Street. Previous to that had countless hours snorkeling the first reef line back in the 70's.

J

Last edited:
what he said about GCS.

We dive Hollywood/Dania periodically. The dives I like are along the yellowbrick road behind the bandshell off of Johnson Street, the rocks off of Perry Street, and after that I like the ledges that run from the Erojacks north of Dania pier all the way south to Perry Street. There's lots of beach diving in the area off parts of Lauderdale, and pretty much solid from North Lauderdale to Deerfield.

I think some of the sand reclamation projects and beach rebuilding have changed things a bit off of the main beach at Hollywood since you dove here, but there's still plenty to see.

Weather permitting I was planning on doing off Dania pier tomorrow night.. I dive with a scooter, you can hitch a ride with me so you don't have to worry about swimming back. shoot me a pm if you're interested.. Was out there on Tuesday and was gorgeous.. southern sting ray, lots of parrotfish..didn't see any lionfish unfortunately..just got a spear to kill the buggers as I hear they are good eats...

Tuesday dive was a good 1:30 minute dive no deeper than 30 ft.. just need to rent/buy a light...

Well I am still in Marathon for now. Thanks for all the suggestions on where to dive and the club. Did a two tank dive today here off Marathon, first in a long time. Went to Samantha's reef and viz was about 100'. Even spotted a lionfish. Couple a barracuda amd a sting ray, conch shell and lots of fish. The other spot was called Tropical Rocks, not too far away. Wore a 3mm farmer john and shortie and felt pretty good. Oh spotted about five lobster too. Ocean reef diving is much better then my usual quarry/lake dives in freshwater. But you got sharks out there. Maybe I will be beach diving soon in Hollywood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom