Homebuilt rebreather.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm:
My only understanding of rebreather is when I used to use anesthetic machines. You can run these closed or semi-closed.

Are anesthetic circuits that far different from rebreathers? The whole idea is to conserve oxygen and anesthetic agent by scrubbing the CO2, and adding a little oxygen to make up for what is used.

Am I correct in this aspect?

Question: If you are running an anaesthetic machine semi-closed - where does the vented gas go? Does a semi-closed machine vent meds? Thanks.

Feeling woozy! :D

X

Technically, all anesthetic agents must be vented externally. The reality is (hopefully OSHA is not reading), most if not all veterinarians will vent it into their office - thus exposing themselves and their staff to the gas. Of all the places I've worked at - non have ever had a negative pressure vent...... Some will just run a hose to the adjacent room, which is better than nothing.

Most, if not all vets, will run it as semi-closed, as you have a more accurate control of anesthetic dose. But it has been sooooooo long since I've used these machine, I can not be a reliable source of info on how they are ran...

fisherdvm:
Technically, all anesthetic agents must be vented externally. The reality is (hopefully OSHA is not reading), most if not all veterinarians will vent it into their office - thus exposing themselves and their staff to the gas. Of all the places I've worked at - non have ever had a negative pressure vent...... Some will just run a hose to the adjacent room, which is better than nothing.

Most, if not all vets, will run it as semi-closed, as you have a more accurate control of anesthetic dose. But it has been sooooooo long since I've used these machine, I can not be a reliable source of info on how they are ran...

Thank you. I was curious how gases were exhausted in semi-closed mode. I would also imagine that exhaust gases would be minute unless you were doing large animal surgery. But then again, I would imagine these types of operations happen in a large operating theate where concentration wouldn't matter much.

If anything, it makes working at the vets office just a tad happier! :D Just kidding - I appreciate and respect vets a lot!

Cheers,

X

Mr.X:
If anything, it makes working at the vets office just a tad happier! :D
Now that's rebreathing! I always thought they were a happy lot. :D

Easiest way to go from SCR to CCR: Close the door. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom