Honduras, Utila, and Hepatitis A

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

susan6868

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Thought I was so smart to get my antimalarial in plenty of time but now it's two weeks until my trip and the topic of Hepatitis A has just popped up. I can get the vaccine tomorrow, but I have read that the vaccine isn't effective until four weeks after being administered. Question, anyone out there know if Hep A is a problem on Utila and if so, has anyone taken Immune Globulin as a short term fix before traveling? Do I even need to worry about this before I go in two weeks or should I just get the series when I return in preparation for the next trip. (And from what all my new friends on Scubaboard have told me, there WILL be a next time. Sounds like heaven!)
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Susan

I don't know about Honduras, but I wouldn't travel to any country in central America or to similar countries throughout the world without adequate protection against Hep A and B. I actually caught Hep A many years ago in Egypt so now have partial immunity, but I can tell you you DON'T want to get it. I think I got it from a single mouthful of contaminated water in a bottle that appeared to be mineral water in a restaurant, but the waiter appeared to open it himself (it had been refilled and was not actually sealed). Hep A is VERY easy to catch.

Get the innoculation, but until it's effective follow a few basic rules:-
be very careful with the water you drink
don't take ice unless you KNOW it's made with clean water
don't eat salad stuff unless you wash and prepare it yourself
wash all fruit in bottled water
be wary of street stalls selling pre-cooked food
look at restaurants critically before you eat there.

As to what you should do now, ask your doctor.

Thank you both so much. I'm going to get the innoculation tomorrow and while I'm at it a course of antibiotics just in case. The website you suggested fda483 is awesome and I've bookmarked it as well as forwarded it to my traveling friends.
(PS- my brother raves about a place called the "Chateau Hawthorne", is that in your neighborhood?)

Not in my town - I googled it - looks like it is up in Orange County.

My Internist is also an Infective Disease Doc. I told him I was heading to India - by the time I left the office I felt like a pin cushion - but he put together a great web site.

What part of NY are you from?

Hi Susan,

I have been to Roatan about 16 times and to Utila twice (scheduled again in April). I DO NOT take the Hep A or B shots. The chances of contracting those are very remote. Everyone has their own level of risk taking. I do not like to take meds unless there is a credible link. Think of it this way - IF there were a large outbreak of illness, there would not be much tourism there. I think that on the islands (Roatan and Utila) there is a much smaller occurance than on the mainland. I amsure that you will enjoy your trip.

DSDO

Hi Susan,

I'm in the same boat as you. Heading out to Utila Feb 11th and went last week to get the malaria meds. Doctor informed me about Hep A, Hep B, and tetanus as well. Of course my insurance won't cover any of that so my doctor recommended going to the local health department to get them all for about $60.

At this point, I'm just going to take the malaria medications and follow peterbj7's advice and take my chances.

Hope you have a good trip!

I'm the opposite of the two previous posters- I'm up on all my Hep shots (working for an airline and travelling so much pretty much makes this mandatory), but I've never bothered with the anti-malaria drugs. The strain of malaria found in Honduras (mostly on the mainland, I've never meet anyone who has contracted it on Roatan) is supposed to be pretty mild- flu like symptoms, and I've always been told the meds are bad for your liver. Now Hepatitis is a different story- I would have those shots even if I didn't travel! Far scarier than malaria, at least to me!

Aeolus:
Hi Susan,

I have been to Roatan about 16 times and to Utila twice (scheduled again in April). I DO NOT take the Hep A or B shots. The chances of contracting those are very remote. Everyone has their own level of risk taking. I do not like to take meds unless there is a credible link. Think of it this way - IF there were a large outbreak of illness, there would not be much tourism there. I think that on the islands (Roatan and Utila) there is a much smaller occurance than on the mainland. I amsure that you will enjoy your trip.

DSDO
Yeah - you'll probably be fine one the trip, as much as eating in a restaurant in Texas with an illegal alien washing dishes.

I do stay up on Hep A, Hep B, Tetanus and Pneumonia vacations - you might to so when you get back.

Hi guys- thanks for all the advice. Have the chloroquine for the malaria which the doc says has very low instance of side effects and won't eat my liver. Passed on the Hep A because it won't kill you and it's not chronic and once you've had it you're immune. I swear I had it a few years ago in Punta Cana but then again, EVERYONE gets food borne illness there!
My doc did give me a script for Cipro to take with me in case I get TD or run a fever. He claims it will cover host of ailments and it's great to have in your first aid bag just in case. I'll be ready if Anthrax breaks out!
Just picked up a pair of Doc's Proplugs today. Anyone have any experience with these good or bad? I have em, just don't know whether or not to use em'.
Let me know if you've heard anything.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom