Honeymoon in Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trheeltek

Registered
Reaction score
Planning a honeymoon for first two weeks in June, and thinking about Phuket - land-based, not resort, mix of diving and other activities (70% diving). We're both experienced divers.
Can someone tell me:

1) Is it just so unbearably hot that time of year to do anything but dive? Also, how's the diving in June, what kind of viz and sea conditions to expect?

2) Can you recommend a good dive resort, or good resort and dive operator combo, since looking for something to do besides dive?

Thanks in advance.

The diving is good in June. The viz is normally better than in the high season, the sea can be a bit wilder though than during high season. All divesites wull be accessible, so it is perfectly ok to dive.
The weather is unpredictable, it can be rainy for a couple of hours a day with plenty of sunshine in between, it can be rainy for 1/2 hour a day with plenty of sunshine in between, and it can be overcast for 2-3 days in a row with showers. It will not be very hot, because the rain will cool things down.

Wife and I were there a few months ago. Spent most of our time on live-aboards. Can't answer all your questions, but...

Last trip I booked through Sunrise Divers http://www.sunrise-divers.com/ and there were no problems. They book day trips as well as live-aboards. The overnight trip to Phi Phi on the MV Greta is a great deal. Seven dives and an evening on Phi Phi Island. Plus they had a videographer on board. He took the video, showed it at the end of the trip, and if you wanted a copy you bought one.

On land in Phuket the Phuket Fantasea http://www.phuket-fantasea.com/ IMO was a great show, with a decent buffet added if you want. Worth it to pay a little extra for the better seats. No cameras allowed, and they're serious about it.

The Simon Caberet http://www.phuket-simoncabaret.com/ is also an entertaining evening, if a little camp. Wish I'd taken my camera to that one for the after-show photo ops.

There are so many inexpensive restaurants (and a number of nice, not-so-inexpensive ones) in the region that we just booked a quiet little hotel just back from the main street for about $20/night CAD. (Low season rate) and ate around the area.

trheeltek:
Planning a honeymoon for first two weeks in June, and thinking about Phuket - land-based, not resort, mix of diving and other activities (70% diving). We're both experienced divers.
Can someone tell me:

1) Is it just so unbearably hot that time of year to do anything but dive? Also, how's the diving in June, what kind of viz and sea conditions to expect?

2) Can you recommend a good dive resort, or good resort and dive operator combo, since looking for something to do besides dive?

Thanks in advance.
June is not as hot as April and May which are actually the hottest months on Phuket. Officially June is a low season month although the daytrip diving then is really nicer than during the high season. Reason being that there are not too many tourists - hence less divers and boat surface traffic. We always see more of the bigger pelagics during the low season than during our high season. Also we only dive the daytrip sites and do not dive at The Similans/Surin islands (some operators try this option but it is really not recommended) nor off the west coast of Phuket then. The boat trips out to the sites can offer a bit of rocking and rolling but nothing too serious. Should the weather turn bad then the dives would be cancelled. For example last year we only cancelled 6 days of diving throughout the year due to rough conditions.

As for recommendations re: dive resorts - there are so many options. Check out some websites and follow up by checking them out when you arrive on Phuket to see if what they advertise and what they actually do does coincide. Be wary of booking agents or tour operators and the blatantly cheaper dive companies as you really do get what you pay for.

Since you will be on Honeymoon I recommend the Karon, Kata and Kata Noi areas rather than the more hectic Patong area. Some accommodation establishments worth checking out are: 1) Thavorn Palm Beach Resort (Karon) www.thavornpalmbeach.com
2) Kata Beach Resort (directly on Kata Beach) email: ktbrsvn@katagroup.com
3)The Boathouse - luxurious boutique style establishment also directly on Kata Beach with only 36 rooms.
4) The Kata Delight Villas - nice garden setting with lovely views overlooking Kata Beach
5) The Katathani in Kata Noi email: katathani@phuket.com
Hope this info helps. :wink:

Thanks for the feedback, and the tips on hotels. Since it's a honeymoon, I think I'll go with one of the quieter resorts in Kata or Karon.

Ringo - I was thinking about doing a liveaboard for part of the trip, why is it not recommended?

WOW, I'm surprised SB didn't blank the name of that place out with the software!

HA HA

The problem with Similans in off season is: last couple of years the Similan National Marine Park has been closed. This year it stays open, and some of the operators have decided to go, some don't go. But: what to expect? Some of the sites will be more difficult or impossible to access. I personally expect that the vis will be around 15-20 meters, and most sites will be very nice diving. And as Ringo said: less divers and boat traffic, so I think it is worth to go to Similans this off season.

trheeltek:
Thanks for the feedback, and the tips on hotels. Since it's a honeymoon, I think I'll go with one of the quieter resorts in Kata or Karon.

Ringo - I was thinking about doing a liveaboard for part of the trip, why is it not recommended?

Only a pleasure trheeltek! I certainly do not recommend Liveaboards to The Similans as it is the low season then and the conditions are rougher. For example about 6 years ago The Lazy Shark sank and 2 years ago Atlantis x also sank up at The Similans due to this very reason. The guests were really unhappy as they were led to believe that diving during the low season was perfectly fine. Only a few operators still try this option but then ask yourself why the most reputable operators are not?

There are however 2 day/2 night Liveaboards to Racha Yai and Phi Phi on board The Junk - MV June Hong Chian Lee (1 of my favourite Liveaboard boats) during the low season. They could also be combined as a 4 day/4 night cruise.

By the way if you are looking for a really special Honeymoon Hotel - expensive yes, but truly stunning! It is called the Villa Royale and belongs to MoM Tri Devakul - the same owner as The Boathouse. I have just been there this morning to book some of my customers in and am amazed at the such sheer luxury and elegance in beautiful surroundings with magnificent views. You can get various package deals all inclusive and it costs about 8000 baht a night! But then even for just 1 night I would go for it! :wink:

Sorry Ringo, but the accidents you mention had more to do with the conditions of the boats than with the sea and weather conditions.
And I think Sea Bees, who are going this year to the Similans, can be considered one of the most reputable operators. Posting is fine, but please stick to the truth.

stevenl:
Sorry Ringo, but the accidents you mention had more to do with the conditions of the boats than with the sea and weather conditions.
And I think Sea Bees, who are going this year to the Similans, can be considered one of the most reputable operators. Posting is fine, but please stick to the truth.

Whether you like it or not Stevel the weather conditions certainly played a big part in the sinking of these boats. Admittedly the conditions of both boats were questionable. I am not using this board to argue with you but lets face it, the facts are simply this: 1)the diving at The Similans during the low season are not consistantly safe. 2) Most of the reputable liveaboards are not operating during the low season. Why?

Back
Top Bottom