Honeymoon in Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I certainly would not recommend booking a liveaboard to the Similan Islands in advance, but when you get here, no trips are likely to be full, so you can see what the weather is like and make a decision. I did a really good trip in August a few years ago, weather was OK, there were no other boats there. BUT... Very few boats plan trips to the Similan Islands in the summer as the weather is unpredictable. Surprised to hear that Sea Beez are planning trips actually. The Really Wicked Witch is another with a Similan Schedule.

I'd agree with Ringo and try The Junk, which has a very attractive price for the low season trips and you get to dive all the local dive sites. Much better than making several day trips.

Honeymooners hotels..you get some really good prices in the low season, so spend some time shopping around.

Have a happy summer

I personally would not recommend diving at the Similans through the low season, it can put your boat and guests at risk and is stressfull enough for the crew and the staff.
Anyone that has seen how quickly the weather conditions can change on our West coast during the SW Monsoon will understand this is not to be taken lightly.
Some operators will continue never the less and can only be profit driven with disregard for safety.As Ringo correctly pointed out why??
If this continues we can offer alot more wreck diving at the Similan National Park.

I agree we should not be discussing things like this on a platform. Diving at Similans is perfectly safe, just as daytrip diving in this period as safe, as long as the boats are in good condition, and the captain and the guides on the boat don't sail if the conditions do not allow it.
Most liveaboards are not operating because of many reasons. Part is a lack of staff in the off season, part is because of commitments elsewhere, and the main part because of the low demand, because we keep telling each other that diving is not safe and that the weather conditions in this part of Thailand are no good during this season.
By the way, I'm sorry I reacted the way I did, basically because I always try to give people an honest advice, and if I am then being cold not reputable and implicating the advice is no good, that is not something I like.

Thanks for all the feedback, and the lively debate. Maybe I can head things off by saying that I'm prone to seasickness, sodidn't want to be out for a few days if the seas are rough. It sounds like they can be rough. Day trips sound great anyway, so I can get back for the massages and elephant rides : ).

trheeltek:
Thanks for all the feedback, and the lively debate. Maybe I can head things off by saying that I'm prone to seasickness, sodidn't want to be out for a few days if the seas are rough. It sounds like they can be rough. Day trips sound great anyway, so I can get back for the massages and elephant rides : ).

Oh, hey... I took my wife to a pretty good spa in Phuket. Treated her to a salt scrub and body massage, and an aromatharapy facial. Place was called the Leelavadee Spa. She loved it.

Thai massage is known worldwide..it's good provided you like your limb being fold and your bones cracked..but the 'after' feeling really makes you relax..and wanting for more.

I think discussing the merits of diving the Similans out of season is exactly what this board is all about.

To allow customers (of which I am one) to make an informed disiscion out the safety and quality of diving being offered.

I have dove Similans in and out of season on a variety of of boats and I would say that the boat makes all the difference.

While a small wooden hulled converted fishing boat makes a great liveaboad platform in calm seas , you wouldn't want to be on one when it gets rough.

It wouldn't bother me to be on one of the larger steel hull boats (or the Junk) such as Ocean Rover or Paiyoon during the off season as you know thseboats can handle it.

A couple oftime on wooden hulled boats I have really questioned wether we were going to make it or not.

Are any of the big boats staying for the Monsoon Season?

One good point about off season is that you see few other boats and few divers. But sea life is also few and far between as all the fish seem not to like being battered by the weather and go much deeper.

If there are no other boats around and your boat does have problems , who's going to pick you up?

I for one wouldn't relish the prospect of another liveaboard during the Monsoon Season.

Diving the Similans during the "close" season is not only foolhardy it can be downright dangerous.

The question you gotta ask yourself, as the stern of the boat lifts clear out fo the water, is "Am I having fun yet?"

Just before I left there was a report of a 30+ passenger carrying liveaboard grounding out in the Similans during July, and the general consensus of opinion was that it was lunacy that it had even tried to take divers up there.

The Hamburger:
I think discussing the merits of diving the Similans out of season is exactly what this board is all about.

To allow customers (of which I am one) to make an informed disiscion out the safety and quality of diving being offered.

I have dove Similans in and out of season on a variety of of boats and I would say that the boat makes all the difference.

While a small wooden hulled converted fishing boat makes a great liveaboad platform in calm seas , you wouldn't want to be on one when it gets rough.

It wouldn't bother me to be on one of the larger steel hull boats (or the Junk) such as Ocean Rover or Paiyoon during the off season as you know thseboats can handle it.

A couple oftime on wooden hulled boats I have really questioned wether we were going to make it or not.

Are any of the big boats staying for the Monsoon Season?

One good point about off season is that you see few other boats and few divers. But sea life is also few and far between as all the fish seem not to like being battered by the weather and go much deeper.

If there are no other boats around and your boat does have problems , who's going to pick you up?

I for one wouldn't relish the prospect of another liveaboard during the Monsoon Season.

Hi Hamburger - apparently there are 3 operators running during the low season to the Similans. As for The Junk they are running 2 day/2 night Liveaboards to Racha Yai/Racha Noi and 2 day/2 night cruises to the Phi Phi islands. Ocean Rover will be operating Liveaboards in Indonesia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom