Hoods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Da Nizz

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I cant stand having anything tight around my neck. I currently have a xxl hood ( dont know maker) and it is too tight. I was wondering if there is a more comfortable hood out there.:confused:

Florida temps? 3mm?

How about customizing your present hood to fit your neck better?

Otherwise, DUI's Warm-Neck hood is mostly 7mm, but has 3mm in the front third of the neck and around the face.

It may be a better fit on your neck.

I like mine.

Dave C

What about solution like Bare Tech hood? It has a zipper on the back and two layers, so you can actually leave the zipper open a bit on the neck part if you cant tolerate it but still have neoprene covering your neck... I don't know what thickness you are looking for though but maybe there are others like this...

Bare 7-mm Tech Dry Hood with Zipper from LeisurePro.com

try the Waterproof Hydra ... they cut it so that it fits MUCH more comfortably ... i let a DM borrow mine while i was using my hooded vest this weekend and had to chase him down to get it back he liked it so much :D

try the Waterproof Hydra ... they cut it so that it fits MUCH more comfortably ... i let a DM borrow mine while i was using my hooded vest this weekend and had to chase him down to get it back he liked it so much :D

Try using a beanie instead. A beanie covers your head and ears, but does not go around your neck. A simple velcro chin strap holds it on. Most people find this much more comfortable. Of course, it's not as warm as a hood, but still much better than going bare.

Many divers with long hair wear a beanie on every dive to prevent hair from getting tangled in the buckles and straps on the mask.

Other folks with much less hair wear them to prevent sunburn.

I had the same trouble. I finally bought an Xcel Hood. It is great. Not to tight around my neck and I didn't have to get it so large that it didn't fit the rest of my head right.

you could get a custom made Otter Bay Hood if regular hoods are too small for you:

Wetsuits

Since your in Florida, maybe just a beanie as sphillips3 mentioned.

I don't know whether I'm stating the obvious or not, but when I was first starting to buy gear, I went through several different manufacturers and models to find a something that would comfortably fit my non-average-shaped head and neck. Or have others found otherwise?

Also, since you're wearing a XXL, the proportions of different parts of your head and neck may be further from whatever average the manufacturers may have assumed. The "stretchier" fabrics seem to work for me (also a XXL skull) and may be helpful to you too.

Back
Top Bottom