Horizontal Obsession

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

women cooked us dinner that we brought home from the ocean floor. <snip>...... got sissyfied.

hope this explains things :D

Yeah I hope this explains things....:letsparty:

When we ascend, he'll often roll over on his back and watch the surface ... like he's laying on a waterbed.

I love doing that. In clear water, the look of the surface is mesmerizing.

Death threats? Wow ... :no:

I'd heard that the Netherlands DIR crowd took itself too seriously ... but that is a bit over the top.

No it's not that. In the hey-day of the DIR trench wars we didn't have moderated BBS's and discussions online often went like this:

person 1 : why do you need to be horizontal?
person 2 : because you do, you stupid dweeb
person 1 : sorry, I'm just asking because I don't know
person 2 : if you don't know this you shouldn't be allowed near water
person 1 : wow, dude, calm down, I'm just asking a question
person 2 : you calm down! Why do you waste our time with stupid questions
person 1 : I didn't think it was a stupid question
person 2 : well it was. You really should be shot just to get your kind of stupid out of the gene pool, but don't worry, I won't do it because it would just make your mother dance for joy!

.... and then it would get bad from there.

About 90% of threads went like this, and the DIR ones were even worse.

R..

Forget about the drag aspect, divers are about as streamlined as a water heater anyway. As long as you are in line to the direction traveling, you are doing fine. You just don't want to be at a 45 deg. angle and try to travel at 90 deg.
For me:
Wetsuit diving - any position will do just fine.
Drysuit diving - horizontal me keep the air in the bag in the right place - most of the time.
When I'm videotaping (which is most of the time) - wet or dry, getting the shot dictates the body positioning. :wink:

A fish is only horizontally vertical when it is.

No it's not that. In the hey-day of the DIR trench wars we didn't have moderated BBS's and discussions online often went like this:

person 1 : why do you need to be horizontal?
person 2 : because you do, you stupid dweeb
person 1 : sorry, I'm just asking because I don't know
person 2 : if you don't know this you shouldn't be allowed near water
person 1 : wow, dude, calm down, I'm just asking a question
person 2 : you calm down! Why do you waste our time with stupid questions
person 1 : I didn't think it was a stupid question
person 2 : well it was. You really should be shot just to get your kind of stupid out of the gene pool, but don't worry, I won't do it because it would just make your mother dance for joy!

.... and then it would get bad from there.

About 90% of threads went like this, and the DIR ones were even worse.

R..

RIP usenet...

Yeah I hope this explains things....:letsparty:

Now women want to be men and men want beer. Self donning neoprene drysuits are good. Is that a rolling pin you're holding?

If I'm in a tight space or in close proximity to the bottom then it's obvious why I'd want to be horizontal. But momentum allows for anyone to be horizontal while underway - when in OH you want to be able to maintain that position even at rest.

What I most often see when I do any OH diving - which is pretty much always - is the OW diver that goes head up as soon as they stop moving. Fine and dandy for mid-water diving. But then the first thing they do to get moving again is flutter kick straight toward the bottom and stir up 2 tons of silt.

And just to be clear - I'm not bashing anyone - I understand that 99% of the time it's a case of "don't know any better". I was there once.

Horizontal trim is just a tool, albeit a valuable one. However, I think that the problem is that people can't get into horizontal trim when they need to be. Even worse, they just don't know what it feels like and think they are horizontal when in fact they are not. Thus, they are diving inefficiently or silting up the area when they dive.

Back
Top Bottom