Horse beating continues: Diver in Cozumel REFUSES to remove gloves and knife.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah but that means that they CAN be used for destructive purposes.

Lend me yours and I will prove you wrong.

What's your point? The shears are a solution to your urge to have something to cut things with while you dive in Cozumel. They're legal, so use it. The law is what it is, and you're wasting your energy to fight it with a string of posts on a website. So why not take the legal yet just as effective option of shears, and get on with your life?

:w-t-f: You really believe that someone cannot stab the coral with shears? That they cannot pry things off with shears? Hacking? Slashing? Cutting things?
You're not going to do a lot of prying with these:
traumafront.jpg

I like others am confused why you are even here if you have no desire to dive in Cozumel anyway.

This has been answered already but not by me. You just need to go off in search of your answers. The truth is out there :D

And I don't think I can be much simpler than my last statement, don't punish real divers for the actions of some googan vacation diver.

I am totally in agreement with this. When they made the park in 1996, they tried just that. You can carry knives and gloves and not use them. Unfortunately it did not help. A Divemaster can not watch everyone underwater.. So they moved the enforcement point to something easier to control.

I am not sure if this (relatively) recent change will really help anything. I do know a couple of things. There is a very good reason for it, and it is the law. Don't blame the dive operators. Not one person on this thread has posted an alternative way to slow down the mass theft of coral off the reefs in Cozumel. It is a real problem. I have seen people doing it before the park existed and since.

traumafront.jpg

Anybody stupid enough to pry coral is going to be just as able to do it with those as they are with a knife. It's really quite amazing how resourceful idiots can be.

Anybody stupid enough to pry coral is going to be just as able to do it with those as they are with a knife. It's really quite amazing how resourceful idiots can be.

exactly.

what "differently abled" jack tard would pry it off, don't they know all they have to do is swim behind the group of divers and several pieces will get kicked off. . .

Believe it or not, back around 1991, I asked one of the "Jack Tards" that question. "why don't you pick up one of the broken pieces off the bottom?" A:"I think a complete piece makes a better looking souvenir"

If you break marine park rules and are caught, your dive operator/dm gets heat for it.

If you want to disobey the local laws in the Cozumel marine park, rent your own boat and do it. Afterwards, report yourself to the local regulator. Its not civil disobedience if nobody knows about it. In fact, its just breaking the law when you avoid the consequences.

Thanks for playing.

Believe it or not, back around 1991, I asked one of the "Jack Tards" that question. "why don't you pick up one of the broken pieces off the bottom?" A:"I think a complete piece makes a better looking souvenir"

to which you responded with a swift right cross, and knocked the coral off the boat right.

They may not be as effective to pry with as a knife but they will do damage to a reef if some turd wanted to use them to pry with....even if they ruined their shears AND did not get their prize......the concept is still as has been mentioned:

Watch the stupid...do not punish the skilled divers. I did 15 dives with a knife on me and did not once use it to pry, cut, stab or anything else. Yes that means I was safe but it also means that a responsible diver CAN be entrusted to have a knife in the COZ waters and not do damage. The focus has been put in the wrong area.

traumafront.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom