Horse beating continues: Diver in Cozumel REFUSES to remove gloves and knife.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so, what is the punishment if I dive, on my own, in Coz with a knife and get caught by a police man?

to which you responded with a swift right cross, and knocked the coral off the boat right.

Well I think I was 18 at the time, and he was about 50, so I kind of walked away and assumed I was missing the point. Opportunity lost I suppose.

so, what is the punishment if I dive, on my own, in Coz with a knife and get caught by a police man?

Ummm, da scuba police gonna gitcha...

Ummm, da scuba police gonna gitcha...

They use their knives and cut your air hose. It is the real reason they have the law. They don't want you fighting back.

Found this interesting, seems I can't wear non-biodegradable sunscreen. wonder how often thats enforced . . .
Preservation of Cozumel's beaches, coastline and reefs is the responsibility of SEMARNAP, the Marine Park Authority. They are assisted by the Port Captain and the Mexican Navy.

In order to protect and conserve our precious marine life, the following regulations should be strictly adhered to by all boats, divers, and fishermen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED:
To stand on, or take hold of the coral reefs
To fish for, to collect, to disturb or to keep any marine life organism found in the Park (fishes, corals, shells, starfish, etc.)
To carry spears, hooks, harpoons or explosives
To carry gloves or knives (Dive Masters and Instructors may register these items for use with the Marine Park).
To disturb or to remove fauna and flora from their refuge.
To feed any fish or animals in the Marine Park
To dispose of any kind of solid waste in the ocean.
To dump fuel, grease, oil, or any other liquid substances into the ocean
To use sun block or suntan oils which are not biodegradable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dive guides are authorized to enforce these rules. Your courtesy in carefully following these rules ensures that our precious reefs, living organisms in their own right, will enjoy long and healthy lives. For your support and help, the people of Cozumel thank you.

That's it. Try to pretend she wasn't talking about PADI/SSI/NAUI/YMCA/etc.

"I found a cert org that covers less than 1 percent of certified divers. That invalidates what you say!" Bzzzzt, thanks for playing.

mandatory in GUE. from the standards document:

knife explicitly, not shears, no exceptions.

Again a false statement...

GUE states under 3.9.2.10

#8 At least one Cutting Device

#6 states you need to carry Decompression tables with you
#9 Wet Notes
#10 Spool with 100' of line

So are carrying all the other stuff with you each time you dive???

Found this interesting, seems I can't wear non-biodegradable sunscreen. wonder how often thats enforced . . .
Perhaps there is a taste difference. Many dive operations would probably only enforce this selectively.

#9 Wet Notes

Umm - you betcha...
The generally accepted DIR cutting device is a betty crocker special...

#9 Wet Notes

I razzed them for citing GUE, but the GUE equipment config does have a knife standard. Well, I checked the manual a few minutes ago and it looked that way to me. Its also in the non-pdf config on the website.

Ultimately, GUE rules have nothing to do with a diver ignoring a divemaster's instruction to obey marine park rules.

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom