hose protectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CanadianDiverGirl:
Is there an official stance on this? I think that they are a waste of time and make my routing in doubles too stiff. Maybe MHK can help out with an "official" answer or opinion?

I think more often then not you see fresh water divers using protectors more then salt water divers. There really isn't a "DIR" position of hose protectors other then to say if your particular regulator set-up "kinks" the hoses then by all means use them, but be sure when cleaning your gear, especially if you dive salt water, to be sure to pull them down when you are rinsing the gear. The corrosion happens quickly, so depending on how diligent you are respecting washing of the gear it's something to consider.

I personally do not use protectors as I'm usually running from the water to the airplane so I never have any time to wash gear ;-)

Hope that helps.

OK ... thanks. I've been leaning away from using them ... but truthfully it depends on which reg I'm using at the moment. Some do, most don't. I didn't really notice the inconsistency will I started pulling different pieces off of different regs to put a doubles kit together. It's just not something I put a lot of thought into.

I'll probably just leave them on my pool reg and take them off all the others.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Curt Bowen:
I never use them

1. they are useless and cost money
2. They can hide a potential failure point on a hose.

Who am I to argue with you regarding diving....but this is not really a diving issue, but more mechanical. Protectors do cover a potential failure point in the hose. But in doing so they protect the most common point that fails by limiting movement at the point where rubber hose and metal join. The hose alone can take much more bending back and forth, say when traveling or living on a boat and piling gear up on deck, than can the joint, without breaking loose.

I don't use them on my doubles rig (or 6" deco spg hose) but I do have some on my singles rig regulator... and since the are black have Halcyon printed in blue on them I figure they will fetch a pretty penny when I get around to ebaying them. :D

If you use them soak your gear in fresh water after diving in saltwater. Also be sure to occasionally pull them back and check the hose/fitting. If you don't use them it is that much easier to check your hose/fitting and you should (and are more likely to) do it frequently.

Hoses are cheap. Replace them before turn into bubble wands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom