Hoseless Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spike627

Reaction score
I'm thinking to get the Oceanic VT pro or the Aeris ELite I know they are the same. Now I'm worried because I need to get my wife the same and when we go dive would there be any interference? How good is a hoseless wrist computer ? Would I be better off getting an Oceanic versa pro

you would be better off NOT getting anything hoseless. It is a waste of money and full of problems. You can more effectively take the money you spend and put it in other areas you will benefit from more....

Suunto Vyper.

Vytec has mixed gas, wireless capabilites, etc. etc. but that is not needed, and you pay a lot for that.

The mosquito is too small and not very pracitcal.

The Vyper has everything someone would need.

Air
Nitrox
Gauge
Download to computer
backlighting
good RGBM
good interface
easy to see

etc. etc

Yes there are others out there that are good, but I and many others like Suunto due to their quality and reliability, but you should research and choose one you feel best about. Trusting your equipment is extremely important

and make sure your getting want you want & need.

I started out with a Suunto Cobra. It's a great computer and of course is air integrated. It gives you the amount of air you have left with your current consumption, tank pressure, NDL and the other required info. After using is for about a year, I tired of the awkwardness of reaching for the console for information. I bought a Vyper since I wanted to keep the same PC interface but wanted a wrist device. It does not give you your air consumption, but if you note your beginning and ending air pressure the PC program can figure you SAC rate.

I looked very hard at the Vytec which is AI, but I had concerns about the wireless transmission reliability. My regular buddy has one and while is generally reliable it has had a bit of problems. The other day on a dive he went to check the planning mode before he shut the tank valve off (we not sure this was the cause, but it's the only explanation we could come up with) and after going back to regular dive mode the computer would not reset to zero tank pressure. We connected it to a new full tank, but it still was freaking out and gave the old remaining pressure in the last tank.

Finally had to take the battery out, thank goodness that's easy enough to reset it.

Frankly I don't want that kind of "problem" with MY equipment diving and am very glad I choose the Vyper instead.

YMMV

If you manage to get your Vytec upset with you and showing "Fail" and the last pressure, its because the computer and tank sender are out of sync. It can happen on the surface if you do imprudent things with a full or partially full tank.

The solution is to go into the settings and turn the transmitter of (HP OFF) and then back on (HP ON); it will then go back to "CODE" on the wrist unit and can be re-synced.

Simple, quick, etc.

I've never seen a problem when underwater with mine. I have had it get out of sync on the surface, but am not quite sure how I did it. I suspect that it was some sequence that I undertook on the surface that left the wrist unit's last valid pressure reading as significant (above the "warning levels") with it then going out of range, and then the sender being reset (by switching tanks, for example.)

The result appears to be that the wrist unit retains the old code and does not go back to the "CODE" sequence, and is thus out of sync.

The above will reliably and quickly restore sync.

Hello,

I would be interested to hear why not buy a hoseless computer. I would like to hear details as to why they are 'bad' what 'problems' they have and the like.

For computer recomendations there's a link at Bikini Atoll website on recomendations. If you scroll down about 1/2 way you'll see what computers they recomend.

Ed

I followed the link you suggested, and aside from the extremely arrogant attitude of the author of the information,almost every computer mentioned on this board are "not recommended". Either they have stock in the "recommended" companies or they don't want a large majority of us, truly, recreational divers on their island.

i wonder if these recommendations are to some extent a result of the different algorithms used rather than reliability or such. repetitive decompression diving such as in bikini will cause some computers with more conservative algorithms to lock or allow minimal bottom times. therefore, they are not well suited to bikini style diving. that would certainly explain why suunto ends up being not recommended (although the vytec is for some reason).

It's primarily a safety issue. There are a lot of cases of mismatches and problems with receivers and transmitters. This has led to a lot of people viewing them unreliable even when these cases can be limited (someone has to have these problems, do you want it to be you). Also the calculations in the amount of air you have remaining are usually very very wrong, and can lead to a false sense of security and for people to extend beyond their limits. This information also does not take into account the air needed to supply your buddy with air in the event of an emergency, so in fact - they are useless toys that cost a lot of money.

They also have high failure rates inside wrecks due to confusing information sent and received due to the metal of the wrecks. Again, not a good place to become a victim of these problems.

The Bikini Atoll site does not recommend you use your best computer - your brain. It came free =) and recommended by God.

Back
Top Bottom