Hoseless Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeW0311 once bubbled...
I followed the link you suggested, and aside from the extremely arrogant attitude of the author of the information,almost every computer mentioned on this board are "not recommended". Either they have stock in the "recommended" companies or they don't want a large majority of us, truly, recreational divers on their island.

If you go to Bikini all the diving is beyond recreational limits, so no recreational computer will do the job. All dives are over 60mins and most are around 90mins.

All dives are multi gas and they use EAN75 which many recreational computer can't do (normal upper limit of 40 or 50%)

So it's only the computers that are beyond standard recreational that will have a chance of working in the conditions there.

If you check some of the other threads, you'll see that the cobra and vyper share the same algorithm, but the vytec uses a different one. The gas switch and higher O2 percentage capability explain it's approval. I see Uwatec's hoseless AI's in wrecks frequently, with never a glitch. They never seem to glitch on the surface either to my recallection. I've seen tons of photographers using them as well, never a single word about the strobe glitching the AI. I've seen as many as 6 on one group of divers, no problems.

If AI, and especially hoseless AI, was that unreliable, the manufacturers would have passed on it long ago for liability reasons alone.

Darlene

MikeW0311 once bubbled...
I followed the link you suggested, and aside from the extremely arrogant attitude of the author of the information,almost every computer mentioned on this board are "not recommended". Either they have stock in the "recommended" companies or they don't want a large majority of us, truly, recreational divers on their island.
Please read everything on the page and think before going off...
All Bikini dives are deep (170fws) decompression (30 min bottom time) dives.
You do two a day for 5-6 days.
Wast majority of single gas computers will get bent (go into no-dive mode) when used like this within two days. That means you won't be allowed to dive either.
Uwatec are very liberal, so they don't get bent. But because they cannot switch gases, youo will still have to do full lenght air-stops, even though you'd be decompressing on EAN75. Meaning you spend a lot more time in water.
All of the recomended computers are multigass computers. That's the reason why only Vytec from all Suunto computers made it to the list.

<rant>
The recommendation on the site is NOT for diving in Carribean. It's for doing deep, deco penetration diving with accelerated decompression.

It's well beyond normal recreational diving - in fact the only "plus" there is that you're in warm watter with good vis. You would be doing a lot of things you were told not to do in your OW course.

Why do you think the author is arrogant? He's telling it as it is.
If you think you can safely dive twin tanks w/o ever doing it before, think again. Maybe you can, maybe you can't. Do you want to find out when you ripped a hose on your primary in the wreck, narced at 160fsw?

I don't know what the operator's attitude to "truly recreational" divers is. I know that I wouldn't let anyone w/o reasonable knowledge of decompression procedures, and experience dive there.
</rant>
V.

Scuba_Vixen has it right. See the thread on Vyper vs Vytec differences. After you've digested that mother of all threads maybe you'll be even more confused. I'm trying to decide between the Vyper/Cobra and Vytec as well.

Personally I don't think the differences in the vyper/cobra and the vytec will show up unless you are doing deep repetitive nitrox diving. If your not going to push the limits you probably wouldn't take advantage of the vytec and a vyper/cobra would be fine.

Then its just a matter of preference as to where you want the computer and how much your willing to pay. Do you want it dangling/retracted or on the wrist and do you want integrated air. The problems with the trasnmitted air are pretty mute as most people would cary a backup SPG anyway. Also these errors seem to be very intermittent and self correcting not permanent.

Options

1) wrist mounted:
about $300 for a Vyper then you'll need SPG and compass
about $550 for a Vytec without transmitter still need SPG and compass

2) Hose: about $475 for a Cobra console with SPG and compass

3) wrist with transmitter: about $850 and still need compass maybe SPG as backup

My $0.02

David

WOW!!! The Vytec seems to be really expensive in other countries!!! (Either that or my LDS got their prices wrong)

I got my Vytec brand new from the local Suunto dealer here for US$360, that's actually why I got it since they were also selling the Vyper for US$300... I figured $60 was worth it...no transmitter of course... but even with the transmitter, the Vytec would've been around $600.. apparently the price of the Vytec WITHOUT the transmitter elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom