Hotel Cozumel?..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MissBubbles205

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Has anyone visited Hotel Cozumel? How is the diving there?..

My fiance found some great deals at this location, so I just thought I'd see what you all had to say about it.

We have a Cozumel sub-forum where you'd get more replies. I could ask that this be move there if you'd like...?

I was there for a week last year. I built my trip around it originally because a dive bud and his wife always stayed there on the All Inclusive deal, after originally getting married there. Nowadays, he can go diving mornings while she enjoys the hotel, amenities, and extras. They had a family emergency and had to cancel, but I still enjoyed it. I got my air fare and seven nights private room with all meals and cheap drinks included for like $700+ including taxes. :thumb: They said they always went into town for nicer meals, but since it was just me - I was fine not paying cab fares and for extra cost food off site and just ate in. All Inclusive meals always get boring before the end of a week-long trip for me, but it was fine. They didn't have Kahlua for my coffee but they had a cheap substitute that worked ok.

I'd take my liter coffee thermos with me to breakfast and get the waiter to fill it so I could take it on the dives that morning. My afternoons & evenings were leisurely, siestas, pool side with beer, surfing the net on my laptop, etc. I could have gotten out and done more, but really - I enjoyed loafing between dive trips. You two would probably like going into town for nicer dinners, and if you've not been to Coz before - there's lots of other things to do after diving.

I did not dive with the on-site dive operator. The big Scubaboard "Invasion" does, but that is a huge group, so very few Ops could accommodate them - and the house Op there did give them a nice deal. Beware buying dive packages tho, as they are use-or-lose. If the weather blows out diving one or more days, you mess up your ears or other medical problems, or just want a day off to go to the mainland or something - no refunds. You might get a voucher for dives if you return in a year? On the other hand, there is a lot of convenience to diving with the house Op - especially for newbies who need more help with equipment, etc. That one uses slower boats but you can typically get two dives in a morning and still get back for lunch by 1pm I think, then a third dive afternoons close to the hotel if you'd like. I just prefer paying per trip, depending on the deal offered.

Or you can book with another Op, as any of them can pick you up and drop you off there. The one I used kept and rinsed my BC, fins, and some other equipment, then brought it on the boat for me the next day. I like to keep my mask and regs with me, would rinse them in the tank by the hotel dock before lunch, then again in my shower - but that's me. I soak my camera for an hour, but I do not suggest cameras for anyone with less than 50 ocean dives.

Anyway, the hotel is nice, especially for the price of some packages. I used Orbitz for air & hotel again this year, again selected All Inclusive - for $18 more for the week, but then had to phone Orbitz for help as I wanted to use the Travel100 discount to take $100 off my package. See this link. That works ok.

The "Oceanview rooms" are a rip off I think as the hotel is across the street from the channel, with buildings in the way, so you look over them - and they charge a lot more for those. Whichever package you book, do not book your ground transfers as an option as you can buy the same van tickets to the hotel, same cab return to airport, for half price once you arrive or are ready to leave - and simpler. Indeed, I don't book any extra options on those packages as I feel I can plan similar trips on my own cheaper as well as how I like to do things. Trip Insurance I book thru TravelSafe.com - mostly for the medical coverage since my home coverage is no good there, but their Vacation plan is really a good deal all the way around - especially if a hurricane forces a cancellation or evacuation. Those are rare there, but I had one send me home once. I should have canceled before I left and replaned but I was too headstrong betting it would veer off. It did just before hitting, but the boats had been out of the water, the windows boarded up, and me back home for two days. :laughing: Adventure travel!

Ok, I have rambled on a bit but wanted to give you a good first reply. I did a quick check for Birmingham-Cozumel with one plane change, using the same week I go just for discussion not knowing when you want to go: August 19-26 Air, hotel, and looked at the options. You can get that package for $1528 - less the $100 discount above = $1428 or $714 each including taxes. The All Inclusive option this time is $110 more/each?! Funny how that works on checking different trips for different folks, but you might do better other days, or on another site? Or $824 each including meals and drinks is still good, as you'd probably still save that much rather than buying breakfast and lunches on site. Cheaper than I am paying this year, from Lubbock - but many trips are. You have lots of options, all good. :eyebrow:

Oh, since you are new to diving - I hope you both have DAN dive insurance, and not the cheapest plan? Just one of those essentials needs....

I have stayed at Hotel Cozumel 3 times. I did my dives with the house operator Dive Paradise. I have no complaints and truly enjoyed both the hotel and the dive op there. They have bigger, slower boats but they also have smaller faster boats. I will return there and use Dive Paradise again. I did my first ocean dives there. The house reef is a good place to do night dives and in most of the packages I think tanks for shore diving are included.

The rooms are clean, the staff are friendly, the mattress is a bit more firm than I like but I still sleep like a baby when there. The All inclusive food is ok, not spectacular so we usually end up eating breakfast (the best meal there) and lunch (over by the dive shop) there and will take the 10 min walk to downtown if we feel like going anywhere for dinner. The adult beverages are included but when diving I don't drink much so it isn't a real sales tool for me. The pool area is nice too.

Most of the other dive ops will pick you up at the pier if you want to dive with another operator. As you will soon see, there are a lot of very good dive ops there. Have fun and post a trip report please.

I enjoyed all 3 trips there and have no problem going back again and again.

MissBubbles,

We (hubby and I)have stayed there twice, and are going back next month,We love it there, I think the staff is wonderful.

We are new divers, we did a dive there in March .and last year when we were *just*snorkelers, we saw an Octopus at night.

May I suggest hiring your own dive master, your stats say 0-24 dives, It was the best forty bucks I ever spent.

Have Fun!!

Terri

May I suggest hiring your own dive master, your stats say 0-24 dives, It was the best forty bucks I ever spent.
:thumb:

I loved the resort as well as the Dive Op!

There's only a few dollars difference between the fast and slower boats. Shore diving is excellent for seeing a variety of critters, day and night.

The staff at the resort are awesome, particularly the group that does the entertainment at night. The food is better than a lot of buffets I've been to back home - but it is a buffet. Rooms are nice, cold AC, nice balconies. Pool is huge.

The dive op staff are awesome as well. DMs know the reef like the back of their hand, instructors go above and beyond, deckhands are always there to give you a hand. A very safe, fun, and reliable group to dive with. They'll remember your name, the weight you need, treat you like a friend they've known for years.

I'll be returning there at some point 100%.

I'm one of those 70+ Invasion folk who just got back and I can tell you I loved it. Hotel Cozumel is a well run hotel, the rooms are large and clean, the staff very friendly and efficient, the facilities/pool/bars very nice, the food may not be 5 star but it is good and if you go hungry it's you own fault. We loved it and will go back.

Dive Paradise was excellent. The boats are larger/slower than other ops, but on a long boat ride and SI, you'll appreciate that.

I highly recommend Hotel Cozumel and Dive Paradise :thumb:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/invade-cozumel-2012/396108-invasion-central.html

BTW, if you get a chance to swim with the whale sharks ... DO IT! It was an amazing experience.

Oh my.. I didn't realize any one had responded.. I've got to make sure to check the notify me..

Thank you all sooo sooo very much for the reviews!!.. This is a must go to place it seems like.. :eek:) I have not done any dives since my check out dive so needless to say, I am very excited and ready to go diving!! :eek:)

DandyDon, thanks for all your info and the coupon code!!! This seems like an awesome deal! :eek:)

Thanks again everyone!!!

How do you book the private DM, do you book in advance or do you arrange when you get there?

MissBubbles,

We (hubby and I)have stayed there twice, and are going back next month,We love it there, I think the staff is wonderful.

We are new divers, we did a dive there in March .and last year when we were *just*snorkelers, we saw an Octopus at night.

Have Fun!!

Terri

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom