Houston area diving options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dcostanza

Reaction score
# of dives
Good afternoon...
I am going to be in the Houston area from 4/28-5/2 and would like to know what diving options there are in your neck of the woods. I'm open to any kind of diving (cave,wreck,spearfishing) and was curious as to what you would recommend?

I did a search and noticed the discussions of the quarries but not much happening in the Gulf this time of year.

Thanks for your help...

Don

Several things....If you are bringing your own equipment that will be a big plus. Your time is limited. Where in the Houston area will you be staying?? There are some things you may consider. Twin Lakes to the south, near 288 and Hwy 6, Blue Lagoon, a good drive north of Houston near Huntsville, tx.; a drive to Austin and try Lake Travis. You can drive to Galveston and do a shore dive in Offatt's Bayou (right off 61st Street. Suggest this during wek rather than weekend. Viz in Twin Lakes and Offatt's can reasonable be expected to be 6 - 10 feet, sometime more, sometimes less. Offatt's Bayou is salt water, the others are lakes and quarries. Check with a LDS near where you'l be staying in advance. Or. just check with the folks here in the TSD's area.

Regards,

Go pearl diving in the Trinity or San Jacinto rivers. I hear that's a hoot. Who'd have thought Texas was once one of the pearling centers of the New World?

I live not far from the San Jacinto River. When the tide is high, the brackish water from Galveston Bay gets this far. When I was a kid, we made spending money collecting pearls and selling them to a local jewelry store. The biggest I ever found was about the size of a pencil eraser but most were about the size of a pencil lead. We also have blue crabs, the occasional dolphin, and I don't know what all since the river viz is minus 10 ft!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions...
Cudabait,
Will have all gear except tanks. Looks as if I'm staying at the Radisson Hotel (West)... Where does that fall in relation to the sites listed thus far?

Best Regards
Don

Zendiver,
Thanks for the info... looks interesting. When I have time tonight I will go over the details. Is this a pretty good dive operation? Is this the "Houston Academy" trip you were referring to? Do they rent doubles or are they geared more towards single tanks?

Best Regards
Don

dcostanza,

All three of the liveaboard boats running out of Freeport run EXCELLENT operations. I did not mention the possibility because you said you had to leave on May 2nd, or maybe I misunderstood.

I would suggest Twin Lakes. It is on 288 south and not all that far from where you will be staying. There is an air satation on site. Alternatives are a one day rig dive, or a trip to Offatt's Bayou in Galveston.

You might wish to contact www.rdscuba.com or www.fatboyscuba.com. You can get some good leads and info from both. R&D is pretty close to the hotel wheere you;ll be staying.

Regards,

Thanks for the latest info Cudabait and Leiserom... I will contact those places as well.

I appreciate all the info submitted...

Best Regards
Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom