How bad is it if an LDS calls you an “internet diver”?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

create a business that appeals to the more lucrative customers who respect a persons investment in their livelyhood, understand that people need to make a realistic profit to stay in business, to put food on the table, to afford a decent life style, just like their customers. Customers who create a value picture that is make up of many elements and not just price. A business can service these types of customers and create a viable long term business or they can service the price shoppers with no loyalty and die a death of a thousand cuts on their way out of business.

Mike, I don’t disagree with you on the types of customers, in my company we routinely refuse to do sell to companies (for various reasons) who are not worth the time. I’m not sure about respect and understanding (as you described above) as a driver. I think it boils down to value for money. In my experience both professionally and personally when I make a transaction to buy or sell it has nothing to do with respect or the other’s need to make a profit. Like mathauckt said in a previous post, how you come to the price and the elements of your costs are none of my business/concern. If we make a deal it’s because you offer value for my hard earned money.

Additionally, in a retail shop (I don’t have experience in retail) I would think the ability to weed out the difficult buyers from the more lucrative buyers would be more difficult.

Side note: I think the models small businesses use (compared to big business), what make some small businesses successful and some fail and also the politics and legislation that impacts small business is all fascinating.

For me, good personal interactions with a local company will win me over. I have found that I will pay a bit extra on some things, but throughout the relationship with my LDS I will at least break even vs. buying online, or maybe even save money.

For example, I paid a little more at the LDS for a dive computer than I would have online. But, when booking space on a dive charter with the same LDS they gave me a significant "regular customer" discount. Even if the difference over time only makes it a wash compared to buying online, my purchase experience is greatly enhanced through the personal interaction.

I know that they gave me the discount on the thing that will harm them the least...a dive charter whose cost is already covered by the ten people who signed up before I did. That makes little difference to me. I'm supporting a good local business, maintaining an enjoyable relationship, and paying no more than I would by buying online.

If I went for the cheapest online gear price and only used the shop for fills and dives, I don't believe I would have a solid enough relationship to receive the "regular customer" discount. At least with my LDS, loyalty has its rewards. I don't know what was in the head of the OP's LDS, and I can't envision that business model working for long. But, I can see where it may have been borne of frustration.

Just my two cents.

Ok, to the OP, more then likely the shop owner knows that a single 2nd vs and oct "yellow" is priced significantly higher from the manufacturer. I have no idea why but it is. I would have handled the situation by a. letting you know the price difference, b. the price of the octo + hose +faceplate, if the reg you wanted had that option, let you know the price and gone from there.

Being in a location that is 3 weeks by US mail, and isolated, but the water temps rarely dip below 80 and all shore diving is 10 min from my house I feel blessed. Now to understand I have wanted to work in the dive business full time for 20+ years and it has never been an option financially until we moved here, a total eye opener. After 2 years as a full time tech and "old guy", I feel I am starting to get a handle on the business side, something to remember in these discussions is the manufacturer sets the prices, not the retailer. The retailer has to operate off of margins.

As far as the internet diver, there is a big difference between the "internet customer that dives", and the "diver" with 5 dives that is the expert because he/she read it on the internet. I can pick the latter out a mile away, they want their "respirator" set at a "breathing" effort of .5. Uh ok. So now I have allot of education to do because they are the expert, and my JOB is to educate without offending and mainly keep them SAFE!

Sometimes a tough task and sometimes I offend people, so be it, I sleep at night. I regularly service gear here from people with150+ dives a year on it. When their diaphragms have a huge slime layer on them, I have to "educate them" on how to rinse gear (remember these are divers certified less then a year).

I have no problem letting people know, I can not match that price, this is the what I can do on that gear unless the manufacturer is going to make it right with me, if the manuf will not make it right with me, feel free to buy from your supplier. Now I also explain that if you want adjustments and such to that gear that you purchased from your discounter, you pay my hourly rate! Which is fair, I deserve to be paid for my experience and knowledge.

Just a different perspective from someone that has been on both sides of the coin, not trying to be critical of either side.

I have not read the entire thread so I apologize if this has already been mentioned but Amigos is selling a bunch of appearal that has the phrase "Post less. Dive more." on it. I like the sentiment.

I have not read the entire thread so I apologize if this has already been mentioned but Amigos is selling a bunch of appearal that has the phrase "Post less. Dive more." on it. I like the sentiment.

Then you must like my post count. :)

Good luck with actually doing that. Not all of us have year round access to compressors and open water :(

The world we now live in is more than ever being tied to the internet. Businesses that understand that and can quickly adapt and change with the times will thrive and succeed. Those that don't will eventually wither away like the dinosaurs. The internet and it's influence has affected all businesses from the huge big box electronic stores like Best Buy to the LDS. Most consumers are now going to the internet for information and price comparisons. A business can either fight that fact or change with the times and find ways to use the Internet in their business plan. Those that are able to to that will be the LDS of the future. Those that can't probably won't be able to survive the next 10 years as our entire society shifts to being highly internet based.

:shocked2: Have not heard this before let alone one directed toward me, but I feel insulted, angry about this comment, especially after offering him business instead of going online. What does this mean? Is there any diver out there that has not used the internet? Ironically, the LDS/owner is on the internet and even has a facebook page. I will calm down before I post something I will regret later.

There many people who don't know how to show respect to others. Anyone who owns a business that deals with customers should know the golden rule of showing courtesy and respect. If they have developed a bad habit of treating customers badly they will not progress but just lose more business. This is the consequence that will result when they make these kind of choices. They can choose to make you feel welcomed and happy or uncomfortable and insulted.

That being said I don't want to jump on the bashing only band wagon because I believe that the person treating me unfairly is out to steal my joy and dump his garbage on me. You need to put a lid on and don't let anyone steal your joy. It is not easy, you can rise above people like this guy, if you can maintain your calmness and show strength this way,(like you have shown). Let him freak out, anyone can do that. Anyone can rant and complain. It is easy pile more stuff on these kind of people but the truth it won't make a difference. His actions will determine his future. You should feel good about yourself that you did remain calm and you didn't let that negativity take hold. You haven't taken any real action that I would consider " getting him back". You every right in my opinion to look for another dive shop.

I like to think these kind of people are like crows or chickens pecking at each other, ranting and I am soaring over them like an eagle. It is a good vision to have, it always makes me feel good when I take this perspective and I can apply it to many situations. I hope I did not offend anyone because I have this view. I just wanted to share a general response I take when I run into these situations.

PS Don't let anyone steal your joy!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom