How cold have you've dived with a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JFras30

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My dive shop was having a New Year's Day dive (since canceled because of a bad weather forecast) and highly suggested the use of a dry suit. It sounded like fun but I'm not certified for a drysuit but it made me wonder how cold could you dive with a 7mm wetsuit.

36 F for 30 mins at 25 ft O/A temp 25 F

Used a 7mm Bare Arctic full
Over it a F/J Top with a hood glued a sewen in and arms cut off.
Over the hood a Harvey tropical cap.
7mm mitts
3 mm homemade fin socks
Bare Ice boots with duct tape sealing them somewhat

39 degrees with a 7 mil jumpsuit, 5 mil gloves/hood.

Dove to 75' for 20 minutes. Would have came out sooner, but stayed at 15' for another three minutes to win a bet, (all of the beer in the cooler if I stayed for 20 minutes):)

Was cold but manageable.

Took a quick look in the log and saw my coldest wetsuit dive was 38 degrees bottom temp for 39 minutes. Air temp was 60 degrees. I wore a 7MM FJ with same thickness hood, booties and gloves. This was early May of this year.

We did some colder air temp dives in late December of last year that were a little warmer bottom temps (around 43 degrees) but with much colder air temps, 20's. Same exposure gear.

Either way, you look forward to getting that cold wetsuit off! Fingers and toes start to go numb by the end of the dives.

We did a 35-40' dive for I think, 40 minutes today in 39 degree water with Air temp around 35-37. No wind when we went in but it sure as hell kicked up when we got out and my fingers were completely numb for a good 15 minutes....oh and the lips were numb too, thats fun for telling the surface dwellers how the dive was!! ;P:coffee:

Howdy

49 degrees
39 minutes
56 ft
7mm suit, 5mm boots, 3mm gloves, 5/3mm hood

Did that for my initial certs...and didn't go back in the water that day. Diving dry now and the only thing keeping me from diving tomorrow is the trip was blown off the water with 9-12 ft seas.

Dane

A few years ago I did 3 dives in Lake Tahoe in early March wearing a 6.5 Titanium farmer john with hood, 5ml gloves, don't remember the boots. Air temp 50F, bottom temp 43F, depth 70' actual (91' theoretical) - dive times 31", 39" & 35".

The other guys diving were in drysuits & thought I was nuts. Looking at my log, it says my hands & feet felt a little cold. I remember getting leg cramps on the 3rd dive of the day.

I can say I did it and remember the experience fondly as I don my DUI drysuit from now on.

The coldest I remember being was at the end of 90 minute dive at 50 deg F in a 7mm full over a 3/2 hooded vest.

I believe I've hit colder temperatures, but not for such a long time.

I've since gone dry.

42f in a full 7mil/hood/gloves....cold experience.

31F for about 35 minutes. Actually since it was fresh water, it must have been 32F.. but there were peices of ice here and there in the water :)

This was with a farmer john 7mm.. so 14mm of neoprene on my core.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom