How Cold is Cold??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hooked4Life

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This weekend I will be diving at Dutch springs. last I heard its 45 degrees..How cold is that going to be w/ a 7 mm??
BTW, air temps going to be upper 60's :(
This will be my first dive in colder water, just got certified last sept & it was nearing 80 degrees..

Thanks,
becky.

Hi becky,
I dove in lake Ontario last weekend in a 7m suit. The water was between 41- 43 degrees. It is Cold!!! the worse part was that my hands and fingers froze to the point where I could not use them , I had to end my dive and surface. I was down for about 15 min.
So it can be very cold. Be carefull and don't get too cold , to the point where it can be dangerous. Have lots of warm clothes for when you get out.....enjoy.
safe diving.....:wink:

Becky,
I dove in 56 degree water with a 7mm for about half an hour, maybe a little more and I got hypothermia. Now that's just me, it might not happen to others.

OOooo Becky that was mean lol. We are NOT big whimps ;-0 I'm telling!!! :wink: lol

Hey Becky,

I just did my first cold water dive (not quite as cold as yours...it was 57 degrees). I had a full 5/3 suit with a 5/3 vest with a hood attached. I also had gloves and booties. The hood alone made a huge difference. At the end of the dive we surfaced and chatted a bit before we got out...I pulled down my hood to do this, then we proceeded to get out. I didn't put my hood back up, and went under briefly on my way out.....WOW it was realllly cold :)

I've got to say that while the water was very cold :) I really wasn't (when I was hooded anyway <grin>).

Peace,
Cathie

45 degrees is very cold; it should be few degree warmer this weekend.
My friend was there last weekend and he reported 51 degrees.
I am going to Bainbridge this weekend and the temperature should be same as Dutch Springs.
Let us know about your trip when you come back.

washow88 once bubbled...
45 degrees is very cold; it should be few degree warmer this weekend.
My friend was there last weekend and he reported 51 degrees.
I am going to Bainbridge this weekend and the temperature should be same as Dutch Springs.
Let us know about your trip when you come back.

Perhaps you are correct...I was reading a post from a few weeks ago that was 45 degrees...my bad...

Will do !!

B-

Back
Top Bottom