How Cold is Cold??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This weekend is DUI Demo Days at Dutch Springs.
You don't have to be cold!! You can try out a $2000 Drysuit for just $5, and they'll feed you too!! :)

for details look here

My wife and I will be there with a group from our favorite shop!

See you there!

:)

Walter once bubbled...
OK ScubaGhrl,

This is your 1st warning about trademark violations, use "Warm Water Wimp" all you'd like, but WWW™ is protected. Darlin', it doesn't stand for "Warm Water Wimp."

But wait, even if it's used in a different context it's still protected? Just curious.

Becky:
When the water is in the low 50's I usually wear 7 mil 2 piece Jane w/ a fleece lined one piece underneath. The 7 mil slides on & off easier, plus the fleece dries fast & is warm. Make sure you wear your gloves, hood & thick booties as well. Actually the water doesn't feel that cold, at least to me. Once the water gets in your suit, it warms up. I usually realize it's cold on the 3rd dive, calves will start to cramp up, then it's time to call it a day.

I always bring lots of food & drinks - a big thermos of hot, sweet tea or something else warm to sip between dives. Bring a grill (the little portable propane camp grills work great), I always have fruit & cheese & crackers, will usually cook up a roast, slice it down for hot roast beef sandwiches. I get really hungry diving cold water & can eat all I want - the cold seems to burn off the calories fast! Good food can save the day.

Have fun, hope to get to DS a couple weekends this summer (or more if we get blown out the Altantic a lot). First Nor'easter hits this weekend, in conjunction w/ a full moon & spring tides, could be a long summer.
Jersey

Hooked4Life once bubbled...
This weekend I will be diving at Dutch springs. last I heard its 45 degrees..How cold is that going to be w/ a 7 mm??
BTW, air temps going to be upper 60's :(
This will be my first dive in colder water, just got certified last sept & it was nearing 80 degrees..

Thanks,
becky.

So...

...I need to know, how cold were you in Dutch Springs? I was there this past weekend and FROZE!!!!! It was 51 degrees at the platforms. Just curious how your trip went.

Heather

I was certified this weekend - doing 20 and 30 minute dives in 37 degree water. THIRTY seven. As in a 3, followed by a 7.

I wore a 7mm one piece Mares Isotherm, with a 2mm shorty underneath, and was just toasty. My lips got numb, but that's alright.

I was out last night in a small lake - it was 63 degrees. I wore my Isotherm without the shorty underneath, and I could have worn a lot less. I was too warm.

Wow... up here some of us go icediving wet.

FishOutOfWater once bubbled...

So...

...I need to know, how cold were you in Dutch Springs? I was there this past weekend and FROZE!!!!! It was 51 degrees at the platforms. Just curious how your trip went.

Heather

What trip??? You mean the one where I got in the water and said F* this and got out?? Oh yes, thats the one...

How cold is cold?? 51 IS TOO COLD !!!

:)Becky

Becky,

Did I hear, "you 'floridians' are BIG wimps"?

I'm heading for Lake Michigan in July. The last I heard there was an empty spot on the boat. Care to join us?

Hooked4Life once bubbled...
What trip??? You mean the one where I got in the water and said F* this and got out?? Oh yes, thats the one...

How cold is cold?? 51 IS TOO COLD !!!

Hello from Highland Park. :)

I did my open water dives at Dutch Springs in November 2 years ago. We wore ill-fitting 2-piece 7mil suits (I couldn't get all the way into the farmer janes) and one of the booties had a hole in them.

I think the water temperature was around 51 then, too. But it was warmer than the air, so hey, it's all good!

Well, OK, actually none of it was good. I chill easily (I wore a full 3mm and a 5mm core warmer in 80 degree water on my last dive trip and was wishing I'd bought a full 5mm by the end of the week). It was bloody freezing, I was miserable, and it was a full year before I worked up the nerve to go diving again... and I'm NEVER diving in cold water without a dry suit again.

So, any thoughts as to a good place to take a drysuit class in central NJ?

Bethany

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom