How come BP/W cost $600+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_moron:
Hello,

I am new to the sport and recently purchased a Seaquest Balance with an Airsource without doing due dilligence at $649.
That is highway robbery. The Balance is nice and all, but that is about a 200% markup over wholesale, and at least $100 over suggested retail.

scubafanatic:
...well, just received my Oxycheq 55 lbs / dual bladder / Vertex / donut wing last week.....not cheap @ $ 700 ....... YIKES ! ...but it appears to be a very high quality item...I installed it on my harness the other day and will dive it the 1st time this coming Labor Day at the Texas Flower Gardens.

Karl

Just out of curiosity, why would you want a wing with 55lbs of lift for a flower gardens trip? I'm having a tough time picturing it. Even with big double steels, you can't be wearing too thick a wetsuit this time of year.

With wings, in general the smaller you can get away with, the better.

mattboy:
Just out of curiosity, why would you want a wing with 55lbs of lift for a flower gardens trip?
Good question. Dual bladder no less. As for the "Extreme" fabric, I don't get that either. Good ballistic nylon is more than adequate IMHO... it's not like anyone's going to be taking a chainsaw your wing.

It seems someone likes to be generous with their overkill.

Apparently, some BP/Wing combos cost $600+ simply because there are divers out there willing to pay ridiculous prices for gear that greatly exceeds what they actually have a use for.

xSandman3:
That is highway robbery. The Balance is nice and all, but that is about a 200% markup over wholesale, and at least $100 over suggested retail.

Are you saying the wholesales price for the Balance and Airsource combined wholesales at around $216?

I purchased it from SportChalet, and the lowest price I could find is $600 from Leisurepro.

DeepSeaExplorer:
Walking in a BP&W without a wetsuit for padding not comfortable at all. The straps will dig in and it will be to painful to walk any distance, especially after you've been in the water awhile. I always wear something just for padding to prevent chaffing.

Years ago, this question was asked on Rodale's, and I was the only dissenter. When the poster came back from vacation with his new BP&W, he was upset that everyone told him that he could wear a plate with no suit.

Even a 1/2mm would probably be comfortable, but I think you'll find that you have to wear something.

In that case, maybe I should look into OMS' BP134 with Comfort Harness System II + adjustable oblique webbing.

Any thoughts on the OMS BP134 - nay or yea?

scuba_moron:
Are you saying the wholesales price for the Balance and Airsource combined wholesales at around $216?

I purchased it from SportChalet, and the lowest price I could find is $600 from Leisurepro.

It isn't sceret that a whole sale price is about half or 1/3 of MSRP... That is the way of business in this industry.

For example, as for the mask, the real manufacturing price is about $10~$15 from OEM suppliers.

As for $700, OMS has made a double bladder wing for a long time. The gear price goes up no matter what we are saying. Actually, it goes up quicker than the consumer price... Do you believe that it is $700 worth? Well,,, WTP is different to every customer though. It is a rip off to me...

What I really want to see is that some China brand hits U.S. market in future. Many regulators have been already manufactured in Taiwan. It is quite interesting to see how current rip-off vendors can survive.

FredT has the best deals on plates I have found and he also has different sizes unlike most companies. I am working on setting up a singles and doubles rig with HOG harnesses.

harnesses-$50 each
plates-$90 each
OMS wings- 32# $280 and 60# $310 +/-
STA-$90

that only $960 for 2 setups so less than $500 each.

Hoosier:
It isn't sceret that a whole sale price is about half or 1/3 of MSRP... That is the way of business in this industry.

What I really want to see is that some China brand hits U.S. market in future. Many regulators have been already manufactured in Taiwan. It is quite interesting to see how current rip-off vendors can survive.

Wow! I don't know too many legitimate businesses where there is a 200% mark up.
Don't you suppose there's a market for Chinese made regulators in the US? I think the most snobbish tech diver crowds will avoid it.

scuba_moron:
Wow! I don't know too many legitimate businesses where there is a 200% mark up.
Don't you suppose there's a market for Chinese made regulators in the US? I think the most snobbish tech diver crowds will avoid it.

Why? because it is a "maid in china" ?

Do you have any idea how many "maid in china" products you are using daily base, even for a medical equipment.

Sure, there are a lot of low ends product, but there is also very high end products. It is totally depending on how much U.S. importers want to pay for.

Dive Rite reg. is also made in Taiwan for your reference and check out their positive reviews on the board...

In addition, you need to fix your intellectual misconception by reading this book below.

A Year Without "Made in China"

Hoosier:
Why? because it is a "maid in china" ?

In addition, you need to fix your intellectual misconception by reading this book below.

A Year Without "Made in China"
Yes, that is correct. I personally have no problem with hard goods made in China. In fact, China is becoming the world's manufacturer. Nonetheless, there are misconceptions even amongst the native Chinese in China. Did you know the wealthy Chinese will not step foot into Walmart in China? The reason being that they have disposable cash to buy foreign goods.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom