How do I see the SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's true that it's not quick until practice makes nature and you're one with your rig. I use a butterfly snap instead of a snapbolt so that there is a tangible difference in addition to knowing in what order it is on my D-ring. Although DIR says it should be on the hip D-ring, it's also true that some people clip it to the left shoulder D-ring which is where I place mine in certain dive environments. I can see it easily without unclipping it at all even with a stage or two. In some dive environments, such as a cave, that's not appropriate. You can think about it and modify for your diving conditions. Furthermore, how often do you need to see it- a good technical diver knows his/her pressure within a 100 psig at any given time in the dive.

tel-scuba:
The SPG comes off the left post and is clipped to the hip D-ring. The stage tank is also clipped off to the same ring. How in the world do I see the SPG quickly? I can certainly slide my hand down the SPG hose, find the clip, unclip and read it, then reclip the SPG, but this takes time.

How do most people get at this device?

I usually clip and unclip the SPG after I put the stage bottle on in the water. This helps to get it above the stage bottle and gets the clip to sit on top, facing the right direction. I suppose if I were smarter, I would be able to set my gear up so it starts out this way, but above water, the hose and the wing don't sit quite right.

Spectre:
Lets go through this again. Without a default statement in the switch, it falls into the base subroutine code, which it falls to the end of and implicitly returns NULL, or 0, or false. The point here is to reduce the clutter so that your code doesn't end up looking like a star wars bar scene. Defaults? Breaks? The utter stupidity on this board is to a level beyond the pale pontificated by those that don't have the brain power to think for themselves.

None of you have been analysing code as long as I have, and tweaking the efficency as much as I have. These useless additions to end up being a cluster **** beyond all proportions and result in the compiler spinning around like a dog trying to **** a football. Until you can learn to walk and chew gum, take the lint out of your pockets and put them onto your keyboard and stop trying to question those that have the experience.

Hmmm, I don't think that's right (and the C compiler doesn't take the number of years you've been coding into account when generating error messages :)

In C (C90 at least), you're going to get a nasty compiler warning at best about control reaching end of function without returning a value, and a wad of undefined behavior.

Are you guys sure all this geekspeak is DIR? :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

limeyx:
Not if it's "C" code, can only switch on char, short, int etc. :)

But if the various terms (like RETRACTOR) are enums, which get processed as ints anyway, then it should work.

underwaterpics:
It's true that it's not quick until practice makes nature and you're one with your rig. I use a butterfly snap instead of a snapbolt so that there is a tangible difference in addition to knowing in what order it is on my D-ring. Although DIR says it should be on the hip D-ring, it's also true that some people clip it to the left shoulder D-ring which is where I place mine in certain dive environments. I can see it easily without unclipping it at all even with a stage or two. In some dive environments, such as a cave, that's not appropriate. You can think about it and modify for your diving conditions. Furthermore, how often do you need to see it- a good technical diver knows his/her pressure within a 100 psig at any given time in the dive.

Ok, I'm not DIR or cave trained, I've just been reading about it and am interested in learning, so be gentle. (DIR book is on order, in the mail :handball: )

What is not cave-appropriate about clipping the SPG to the left shoulder D-ring instead of the waist D-ring? Does it become more of a "bottom-dragging-danglie" at that point? Does it get in the way of a backup light? Or is it just the "things on the chest" factor that makes low-overhead-clearence passages difficult?

My luck I WILL need to see the SPG in a hurry (some believe you NEVER have to really look at it)..... due to a problem like sudden/or even slow loss of air (major problem occurs), suddenly I am feeling slight stress..... I'll have the SPG unclipped AFTER fiddling with it, and then it'll slip from my grip...... I'll then have to feel for it to find it... bring it up to view..... only to realize the worst case scenario is indeed happening....... then I do not have time to reclip it to take action..... then it is dropped again from my grip, only to have to be found once again, only to realize that had I just used a retractor, I'd still be more alive than dead.

Hope I won't be sorry for the loss of those few precious moments. I wonder if they would make a difference in a life or death situation? I also wonder how many DIR divers really actually rely on ONLY clip and unclip when there is the need to see their SPG.

We should do a poll on how many cheat (attach in a different location, use a retractor, etc.).

BlueDolphin:
My luck I WILL need to see the SPG in a hurry (some believe you NEVER have to really look at it)..... due to a problem like sudden/or even slow loss of air (major problem occurs), suddenly I am feeling slight stress..... I'll have the SPG unclipped AFTER fiddling with it, and then it'll slip from my grip...... I'll then have to feel for it to find it... bring it up to view..... only to realize the worst case scenario is indeed happening....... then I do not have time to reclip it to take action..... then it is dropped again from my grip, only to have to be found once again, only to realize that had I just used a retractor, I'd still be more alive than dead.

Hope I won't be sorry for the loss of those few precious moments. I wonder if they would make a difference in a life or death situation? I also wonder how many DIR divers really actually rely on ONLY clip and unclip when there is the need to see their SPG.

We should do a poll on how many cheat (attach in a different location, use a retractor, etc.).

To truly understand, you need to see how the whole system fits into place. I could go point by point but unfortunately I don't have the time right now. Clipping and unclipping your SPG is not an issue even when carrying a couple of bottles on your left hand side. Even with a couple of bottles I can do it in a few seconds, it just takes practice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom