How do I see the SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My luck I WILL need to see the SPG in a hurry (some believe you NEVER have to really look at it)..... due to a problem like sudden/or even slow loss of air (major problem occurs), suddenly I am feeling slight stress.....
If you have a sudden loss of air, reaching for an SPG is not going to do anything.

Jason

BlueDolphin:
My luck I WILL need to see the SPG in a hurry (some believe you NEVER have to really look at it)..... due to a problem like sudden/or even slow loss of air (major problem occurs), suddenly I am feeling slight stress..... I'll have the SPG unclipped AFTER fiddling with it, and then it'll slip from my grip...... I'll then have to feel for it to find it... bring it up to view..... only to realize the worst case scenario is indeed happening....... then I do not have time to reclip it to take action..... then it is dropped again from my grip, only to have to be found once again, only to realize that had I just used a retractor, I'd still be more alive than dead.

Hope I won't be sorry for the loss of those few precious moments. I wonder if they would make a difference in a life or death situation? I also wonder how many DIR divers really actually rely on ONLY clip and unclip when there is the need to see their SPG.

We should do a poll on how many cheat (attach in a different location, use a retractor, etc.).

If you hear bubbles you should be signalling your buddy. Your buddy should be noticing your gas loss issues, too. At that point, don't bother with with the SPG -- your buddy should be shoving his primary into your face. Then you can shut down the valve and check the SPG at leisure.

BoomX5,

Any idea how many clip on and clip offs it is going to take for it to be second nature?
Just curious how many dives I have to put in before I get it.

Thanks

BlueDolphin:
BoomX5,

Any idea how many clip on and clip offs it is going to take for it to be second nature?

Thanks

Generally it will depend on the diver. It took me about 5-10 dives to get it down real good. Part of it is having your d-ring in the right place, your clip in the right place and the right size clip on your SPG. The way you grab the clip can also make all the difference in the world. I can tell you it is super easy without gloves on. However, it can be a bit more challenging with thick wet gloves or drygloves on. I've seen many new people who can't clip off an spg no matter what, but after a few dives they look like they've been doing it all they're lives. :)

BlueDolphin:
BoomX5,

Thanks

Usually 3-4 times during one dive should be enough to give you a good idea where you should be reaching every time. After two or three dives, you should have it down to muscle memory. It may take some people a little more, but not much more. If you have problems after several dives, you may have other issues such as the d-ring moving, or not placing the snap in the same direction every time. I find that if i clip the snap in the same direction and unclip in the same dirction every time, it develops a habit of always knowing what position my hand should be in when I reach for the clip.
Robert

This will give me something to do on these low vis days we have been experiencing here. :) Will report back when I have it down. And promise not to cheat! :wink:

Thanks

BlueDolphin:
BoomX5,

Thanks

I learned how to do it with drygloves on and it took awhile. I had lots of dives where I would tire my arm out trying to clip it back on. You need the muscle memory of where to expect the D-ring to be. I was also just sort of stabbing blindly with the clip for the longest time. I think the trick is, you need to have your hand slide up next to the D-ring and feel it before you clip.

I haven't really had any issues at all, even though I learned with drygloves. I open the snap, then slide it backwards along the waistband in the area of the D-ring and it almost always catches the first time. It's sort of a sweeping motion, and it goes quickly now.

If I didn't get it on the first pass or two, I'd use my other fingers to grab the D-ring and pull it out some, and then it always works.

So that I don't get yelled at, let me preface this post with the fact that I have not yet gone through a DIR class and I am simply offering what has worked for me in getting ready for DIR-F.

I've had some difficulties when I first started with drygloves, but it isn't something that couldn't be learned in a few dives. For the winter, I switched over to a bigger bolt-snap to compensate for the lack of dexterity in my hands. When the water warms back up and I go to my 3mm wetgloves again, I'll switch back to the smaller snap.

It's all about muscle memory. If you've got the time, I'd suggest putting your rig on and practicing it. You could even lie down on the floor to simulate the correct diving position I guess.

I digress, however. Listen to those that have actually taken, or even better yet, teach the class. :14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom