How do I tie a DPV leash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What knots do people use and is there one that snugs down but still allows the line length to be adjusted?

Thanks!

i used a fig 8 + stopper on the right side (anchored line in an eye thru which fig-8 could not fit), and a tautline hitch + stopper on the left. Tautline allows for adjustment of length but won't slide; left hand free during use, so goes left side.

This is a fairly simple procedure. Form a permanent non adjustable knot at one end or use an eye splice, which is very clean (PITA if you never made them before and you will need fids). Use a midshipman's knot on the other end. To prevent the midshipman's knot from every coming loose I tie it off using with cave line, using a double constrictor knot. As ScubainChicago recommended, you should melt the ends to prevent any unraveling.

Have fun with the DPV and remember: It's not how far you can go but "can you make it back."

Thanks everyone. The taut line hitch did the trick perfectly, allows fully adjustable line length but locks down under pressure. Once I have the length dialed in, I will melt down the end as suggested.

Can always do what I did, once you've found the proper length, eye splice through a small snap shackle with some Cortland core-dependent. Using a large bolt snap with a smaller snap shackle makes a good quick release as the small snap shackle will slip through the bolt snap so that you can still release the DPV even if you can't undo the bolt snap.

It's completely overkill, but I splice rope for work, so it was no time and fun to over-engineer.

Some additional food for thought: Many people don't run the tow cord through the bolt snap. They instead use cave line and tie the tow cord to the bolt snap. This allows you to cut away the snap if it becomes fowled and then revert to a double ender to limp you through. It will also cause less wrist fatigue on long scooter dives.

Enjoy :)

I do slip knot on both sides, then feed into bolt snap base and over. This way i can have fixed yet easily adjustable at any point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom