How do you determine if you should go to a bp/w or stay with a jacket BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, my st wing is easier to don and smaller to travel with as it can be taken apart. It is a lot lighter than the Mares Dragon I used to have. So I do not agree with you. To me the BP/wing is more about KISS than a BCD...

[h=2]How do you determine if you should go to a bp/w or stay with a jacket BCD?[/h]

Easy - ask thousands of strangers on an internet forum!

:D

Actually, my st wing is easier to don and smaller to travel with as it can be taken apart. It is a lot lighter than the Mares Dragon I used to have. So I do not agree with you. To me the BP/wing is more about KISS than a BCD...

Understand what you are saying. My BCD is the same weight as my wing but BCD is easier to use overall. Each to their own I guess. It all depends on what systems and brands you have.

Only thing I'll add is that if you decide to try a BP/W at some point, do it with someone who knows how to adjust it to fit you properly. A maladjusted harness won't be comfortable. I recently dived with someone who had theirs adjusted way too tight, and couldn't figure out why the darn thing was so uncomfortable. Once we got it to fit him properly, he decided he liked it just fine.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In general, I agree with the many comments to the effect of, if what you are currently using works well for you, you should not necessarily change just for the sake of changing to a BP/W. I own a jacket BCD, several 'soft' back-inflate BCDs and several 'hard' backplates. All of them 'work'. I have found that I prefer using a 'hard' BP/W for a number of reasons that are relevant to me.
Is it my imagination that as recreational divers become more experienced they move to a bp/w? If so, why?
Some do, but many don't. Among those that make the switch: a) some do because of the discussions here on SB; b) as divers gain experience, many become more aware of, and sensitive to, their trim in addition to their buoyancy, and some of these find that the use of an AL or SS BP allows them to shift weight toward their upper body and that improves their trim; c) some others like the modularity of a BP/W system, while some appreciate the simplicty; d) some are gear junkies.

Of course many don't. Among those that don't make the switch: a) many / most never hear of a BP/W; b) some may hear of it, but in a manner that misrepresents it as something only for 'tech' divers'; c) some may hear of BP/W systems but don't have access to a unit to try out; d) some may 'try it once' and conclude it doesn't work.
How do you determine if you should go to a bp/w or stay with a jacket BCD?
Since you are asking the question, you can make the determination by trying a BP/W rig, several times, diving with someone who knows how to wear them / fit them / use them. If you find diving is 'easier' / simpler / more comfortable, that you trim is improved, that your weight requirements drops - and any / all of these things are important or valuable to you, then it may be time to switch. If, after a fair assessment, you see no difference, or no value, stay with what you have, which already works.

Just because what you use 'works' doesn't necessarily mean it is optimal. Just because a lot of people on SB praise something doesn't mean it is optimal. I recently bought (yet) another rubber weight belt - I already had two. I did so because of some comments here on SB about a particular type of buckle (Marseilles). It may not be optimal for me, but I want to know. And, finally, just because something is 'optimal' doesn't mean that other things are 'dysfunctional' or unacceptable.

Do you have any objections to using/wearing a crotch strap ? Some people do.

IMHO, the crotch strap is one of the key components to the BP/W and if you won't use one, then BP/W might not be worth it.

I am not a tec diver. I dive warm water, recreational. I like the versatility and minimalism of the BP/W. If you don't mind the crotch strap, see if you can find someone to let you try out their BP/W. Warm water diving in a minimalist BP with small wing feels very freeing.

I don't actually need to use the crotch strap on my BP/W and dive without it on a regular basis. This may have to do with body shape more than anything else.

The BC's I've owned over the years, including jackets, have had a crotch strap so I never thought of it as an issue.

Bob
-----------------------------------------------
Learning something new every day.

I don't actually need to use the crotch strap on my BP/W and dive without it on a regular basis. This may have to do with body shape more than anything else.

The BC's I've owned over the years, including jackets, have had a crotch strap so I never thought of it as an issue.

Bob
-----------------------------------------------
Learning something new every day.

Yes, you are right. I've read that some dive without it and have no issues. Can't say for sure, but I think more dive with than without.

In addition to body shape I wonder if aluminum tanks, light weight plates and diving with little or no weight are part of the reason I need a crotch strap. All I know is when I don't use the crotch strap, everything rides up on me. Especially later in the dive.

The more I read on SB, the more I wonder if I should migrate to a bp/w. I've got over 100 dives now and have a SeaQuest Diva BCD that I've had since I got certified. I use 8 lbs of weight when wearing my 3mm wet suit in tropical waters. Buoyancy is good; AOW and Nitrox certified; deepest dive is close to 130 ft. I really like my BCD....it's comfortable, has integrated weight pockets (which I like), has enough places to attach stuff, etc. I have no desire to be a tec or cave diver. Is it my imagination that as recreational divers become more experienced they move to a bp/w? If so, why?
I haven't read all the responses but the only reason I moved to a BP/W was fit and comfort. In a jacket I have a large shoulder, medium chest, and small waist. One size simply doesn't fit me. Fine for warm water, though not ideal. In cold water it makes for a very uncomfortable dive (at least in wetsuits). In the end, dive what works for you. Unless you're going to start doing penetration diving there's no reason you need to switch if you're comfortable and happy with what you have now.

Do you have any objections to using/wearing a crotch strap ? Some people do.

IMHO, the crotch strap is one of the key components to the BP/W and if you won't use one, then BP/W might not be worth it.

I am not a tec diver. I dive warm water, recreational. I like the versatility and minimalism of the BP/W. If you don't mind the crotch strap, see if you can find someone to let you try out their BP/W. Warm water diving in a minimalist BP with small wing feels very freeing.

My husband bought a bp/w that I can try out at some point in time. It's a one size fits all sort of thing. I don't think I'd mind the crotch strap, in fact, even though I love my jacket BCD, it sometimes rides up a little.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom