How do you determine if you should go to a bp/w or stay with a jacket BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My shoulders aren't very wide and I find that the simple harness tends to either slide off my shoulders or just pulls them back too far.

There's a solution to this one! When I web my harness, I cross the shoulder straps behind my neck. Presto -- no more sliding off the shoulders, and no need for a chest strap!

My husband bought a bp/w that I can try out at some point in time. It's a one size fits all sort of thing. I don't think I'd mind the crotch strap, in fact, even though I love my jacket BCD, it sometimes rides up a little.

If you are already happy with your BCD, then you have no real reason to change. However, since your husband has a BP/W it be easy for you to try it. Just need to adjust the webbing to fit you.

Last edited:
I just picked up a 2nd hand Beuchat Masterlift TEK bp/w setup to retire my venerable Mares jacket.
My reasons:
#1: top condition fair price unit (payed around 1/2 the market price - cheaper than most jacket offers)
#2: as opposed to my old jacket, this one has plenty of D-rings e.g. to hook up my pony + a pair of weight pockets also came with it.
#3: one-size-fits-all: hopefully the day will come when my wife starts diving and she can use it while
taking the first finstrokes.
#4: doesn't give me the squeeze when inflated
#5: a LOT easier to don, than my (a bit undersized) jacket.
#6: I am not diving doubles (yet), but this can accommodate a 2x12 too.
#7: looks cool:)

+some stuff I haven't tested yet:
the wing should help you swimming horizontal and improve trim - both I used to have issues with.
OTOH it is said to put you on your nose while on the surface - this I have to see:)

I agree some points (#1-2 & for some, 6 :p) could be fulfilled with a nice jacket.
But anyway, I needed a new BCD and thought, at that price point why not?

Infinitely better? No. Not even close. Marginally better is more like it. If you're looking at a BP/W over a jacket just because it might trim out a little better then you're going to be very disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, BP/W has its uses and in some circumstances they are a much better choice. Then again, there are circumstances where a jacket is a better choice. They're different, not necessarily better.

-Charles

OTOH it is said to put you on your nose while on the surface - this I have to see:)

Horse pucky! This happens if you are weighted in the wrong location, and jack the wing full of air..... commonly used as an "anti-sale" tactic by shops that don't sell or understand the device.

Another advantage to a BP/W is if you change sizes - gain or lose significant weight. Adjust the (cheap to purchase) webbing and off you go vs buying a different size BC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

That was exactly my thinking:) Already bought a few weight pockets, two goes on the tank strap, two on the backplate.
Horse pucky! This happens if you are weighted in the wrong location, and jack the wing full of air..... commonly used as an "anti-sale" tactic by shops that don't sell or understand the device.

I've owned my BP/W for 5 years now and have adjusted the webbing exactly... never. Does it really happen that much? Most BCD's I've seen also have adjustable webbing.

As stated above, some rear inflates/wings will push you forward on the surface IF you are over weighted and thus require an excess of air to be added to keep you up. Neutrally weighted, this is not a problem.
So, like the jacket BC, if incorrect weighting is used, there will be performance problems. The solution is not to change BC's (initially), but to correct the weight issue. It's amazing what will work when that happens. I can maintain trim with a tank tied to my back by a piece of string if I want to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom