How do you feel about solo diving?

How do you feel about solo diving?

• Never done it, never want to.

Votes: 57 19.1%
  • Haven't done it, but thought about it.

Votes: 81 27.2%
  • I've done it, but prolly never again.

Votes: 25 8.4%
  • I do it all the time!

Votes: 135 45.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that discouraging solo diving is the "PC" answer. Especially for people in positions that may be held legally liable for condoning a risky action. BUT... scuba is a risk. Is solo diving any really any riskier that driving my car solo? No matter what you do, you can never be 100% in control. Whether it's a equipment failure(i.e. regulator failure or tire blow-out), Physical/health problem (i.e. heartattack)or other outside force (i.e. on-coming car crossing the center line or underwater entanglement). I know this is just my opinion, but a shallow solo dive seem safer than deco dive to 200+ feet.

Jarhead

Jarhead,
Good points. I agree. Diving isn't "safe" and most things aren't. As a matter of realative safety, though, I am comfortable stating that any dive with a competant buddy is less risky than the same dive alone. I don't know that that means one is wrong in making that choice. I do know that based on my experience, the average recreational diver (even one who qualifies to teach the new solo course on the market) has no business doing it. Certainly, I think the methods some use to justify it are not only wrong but potentially dangerous. These arguments suggest it's safer than diving with a buddy because the buddy isn't any good so we have a compromise to fix a problem caused by a compromise. Is a 20 ft solo dive safer than a 200 ft cave dive? Doesn't matter because you can't compare them (no frame of reference).

For me, Solo diving is NOT the first choice.
I would rather go on a multi-hour drive with someone rather than go alone, BUT I would rather go alone than stay at home.
Along the same lines, I would rather dive with a buddy instead of solo, BUT I would rather dive solo than not dive at all.

Jarhead

PS: A multi-hour drive with someone that is asleep IS and drive alone. :D

I enjoy reading the replies to threads like this one. There are a lot of very experienced divers giving very good advise.

Generally, solo diving is not a completely wise thing to do and or consider. Having said that, would I consider diving solo? In a word, yes. However, this more than just a personal decision to make. Many, many things must be considered before you go out there on your own.

Are you experienced enough, current enough, and confident enough in your abilities to handle any situation that may arrise? Do you have the necessary redundant equipment to take care of possible equipment failures? And, are you willing to take the risk of leaving your family at this point in your life?

My wife and I discussed my diving solo. There was one point when I was current enough and confident enough that I thought I may dive solo at one or two locations. Shallow, easy dives that I was very familiar with. After the discussion, she asked me to please never dive solo because she was not comfortable with the situation and the risks. I promised to never dive solo and I never will.

This is one of those hot buttons! I'll get right to the point. I SOLO dive 50% of the time. I haven't taken a solo diving course like my one partner had. I do however practice basic skills on every dive. those skills being, but not limited to, and not all performed on every dive, manually inflating the BC, Reg swaping, Navigation, Vertical ascents, Valve shutdowns, Useing spare air, lift bag deployment, Reel use, Mask removal and replacement, even breathing from the BC. If you train for the unexpected your better prepared when it arrives. Practice isn't once and awhile! Yes we take chances I suppose by most peoples definition. I feel when diving you have to be self reliant. If your going to dive solo you had better be skilled enough to meet the unexpected if or when it happens. I also agree that it's not recomended for all, and by all means use your head. I dive all year in the north east, it's not easy comming up with alot of people who want to dive 36 degree water. I seek out the various conditions. rough water, poor vis., cold water, night dives. Ever navigate with out your mask or swim in with one fin? Prepare for the unexpected, dive like it's unexpected. When the unexpected happens, you're prepared.
Happy Hollidays all

decision. It requires a certain temperment, level of experience, and thoughtful risk/reward analysis. Some of my best dives have been done solo. Those advocating a blanket condemnation of the practice are in the category of control freaks.

I've always wondered about the disparity in attitudes between flying and diving, both activities entailing a degree of risk. The beginner pilot must solo to demonstrate competency, but the diver who solos is somehow viewed as a 'cowboy' who is flaunting safety guidelines.

Most of my diving is done solo and in the 50 to 70 foot depth. When diving deeper I carry a small bail out bottle. When I dive with a buddy it is always with the same person, whom I feel I can depend on. I find putting my well being in some one elses hands makes me feel uncomfortable unless I know the other diver very well and can trust them with my life, hence my only dive buddy.:)

hit the nail on the head.

Flying and diving are pretty similar activities, really.

When flying, you cannot expect to be "rescued". In fact, its even less likely than it is when diving, since getting into the plane to help you is a bit of a problem.

A person who is untrained in how to fly, but who is with you, is probably of no help at all if you suddenly slump over at the controls. In fact, they might kill you both; if course, doing nothing will probably kill you both too.

You must fly solo in order to demonstrate competency to fly at all. Once you do demonstrate that competency, and get your ticket, it is expected that you will fly on your own, and many people do exactly that. In fact, other than getting further training, its at least somewhat uncommon in a private aviation environment to have a trained person in the right seat; someone may be there, but a second rated pilot? Not all that likely.

Now you might say "but you need a medical." And you'd be right - you do. But a plane is being flown over the top of other people, and if you DO slump over there are other people who are at least somewhat likely to die along with you - maybe a lot of other people, if you're over a populated area. You must also maintain proficiency - but again, this is really about the risks to others, not to yourself.

Interestingly enough, plenty of people fly solo without redundant equipment (single-engine airplanes!) With only one fan, if it stops turning the pilot will be sweating up a storm in a big hurry!

The analogy fits in another way. You are, quite frankly, on life support up there. You can't just get out and walk home. Well, ok, you can get out :) The walk might be a bit of a problem though. Until and unless you reach the ground in one piece, you cannot realistically "bail" - 'chutes in general aviation are pretty rare.

The same kinds of things that will kill you diving will kill you quite reliably while flying. Cardiac or ischemic problems in the air are not survivable in most general aviation aircraft - for the pilot or anyone else on board. If the aircraft can reach sufficient altitude, then O2 becomes mandatory (or pressurization in the cabin) - if that fails you have trouble as well.

Solo diving seems to be kinda like flying without a rated co-pilot in the right seat, does it not?

Dove solo for many short dives as a DM.

Dove solo on a few boats where I was odd man out and the rest of the boat was full of couples. My wife has an intense fear of the water.

Hunting on a few occasions - actually those were the most fun solo dives I've ever done.

I don't like it, don't prefer it, just too much anxiety especially at night. Being with a buddy is always the best - IMO. It's a hypocrisy for me to tell students don't do it but have to respond affirmatively when asked if I've ever done it. I try to tell them about the specifics of the experience, and remind them about the lack of redundancy when a buddy is not present, and the special equipment, skills and training required to do it.

Solo diving seems to be kinda like flying without a rated co-pilot in the right seat, does it not?

Absolutely. I was going to say that the only situation where a solo pilot was at a disadvatage because of being solo is when he has a heart attack or similar.

Similarily to a solo diver, if something like this or an unpredictable even happens then the solo diver is at considerably more risk.

However, I put this to the board....

Using the same argument that DIR use against redundant wings i.e. more to go wrong. All things being even, is there not double the chance an incident can happen if their are two people? (I am not talking about resolving a problem here, just the chance of one happening).

Not saying there is a correct answer to this, but a point to ponder on.

I often solo dive and have done so to 52M/172ft, full deco, but non-penetrative deco dives. Why? There are only 3 people in the world I trust at those sort of depths. One now lives in another country, another works most weekends (I work during the week) and another rarely dives recreationally anymore. I feel far safer by myself (with twins/doubles + stages) that with some unknown buddy-for-a-dive who happens to be on the boat.

This is like solo piloting a twin engine plane, I guess.

I am not talking about serious real overhead environments here. They are an environment I rarely enter.

I dive pretty much hogarthian and I'd be interested in what failures could happen to me which would require a buddy to save me, because I have yet to come up with one. (I say hoping not to start a flame war)

BTW. I am not recommending solo diving. It's the divers choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom