How do you judge VIZ

How do you judge VIZ

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I might also use: can i see the tips of my fins.. about 5-6 ft vis, Can i see my fingers of hand 2-3 ft visibility, can I read my guages with a light? If not, then vis is less than 6 inches.

I use guestimated distances from something I can see clearly and/or recognize. Mostly a guess, but I have got pretty good at it over the years. However, Great, OK, Poor, Braile works as well.

I judge by how far I can make out the colors and edges of an image. I don't count seeing a shadowy figure of a rock ten feet away as ten feet of vis. I was diving at Shaw's Cove in Laguna Beach one day and had a decent 12-15 feet of vis. Another diver reported 40 feet at the same time. Usually, when someone tells me what the vis was before I go in, I figure it's at least half of what they say.

I just have a few categories:

crystal clear
good
average
poor
braille

We used similar terms, but it's usually seasonal:

crystal clear In Florida on vacation
good Spring
average Fall
poor Summer
braille Algae bloom/post rain storm/post OW classes (Aka: "Stevie Wonder" dives) :rofl3:

I use the PADI OW manual suggestion: How far can you make out another diver? If solo, I try to imagine that. If it's real bad, I judge furthest distance up when I still see the bottom-- ei. 1 foot, 6 inches, etc.

Not as good as it used to be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom