How do you just 'practice'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nosnhoj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, new diver with a few dives under my belt, and many more to come over the summer. I'm diving with a club almost every weekend and learning more and more each time. What I would like is to just pratcice my skills at my own pace. Sure I can learn kicking techniques while following a speedy buddy, or work on buoyancy while diving with a photographer... But I would like 'time' to work on these things myself in real world environments (because I figure everybody will say 'get in a pool'. A heated pool in a 7mm suit and vest just isn't the same...

I figure people are wary about insta buddies as it is, so I can't imagine asking someone to just 'hang out' a bit while I fart around with buoyancy.

I suppose I could pay for more courses, but my aim is to build on what I already know, and then take it to the next level.

How did all y'all do it?

Thanks
G

With not wanting to working a pool it looks like your option would be to ask someone to hang out while you practice. See if you can find someone in the same boat you're in that wants a little practice. You could also ask someone who does video to film you practicing your skills so can review them later and they would get to do what they love, video. Best of luck and hope someone else has the perfect answer for ya. Stay warm my friend!

Agree with Tfast78. You can't be the only rookie in town. Ask another rookie to hang with you and you both will progress.

Just pick one skill at a time to focus on, and let your dive buddy know that you want to practice that one thing during the dive. If you are wanting to practice finning, explain that you would like to go at a fairly slow pace; or if you want to work on your trim, ask your buddy to "spot" you and let you know when you get out of trim; if you want to review alternate air source use, ask your buddy if it would be okay to do that on the safety stop, for example. Most experienced divers don't mind helping out a newbie to a limited extent, and often they will actually be pleased to be asked to work with you on your skills. Don't be too shy about it, just ask! If you don't make it a huge part of the dive so that your buddy can't have a proper dive tour, I would be willing to wager that s/he won't mind at all.

with my dive buddy we always do our skills practice (fining ,buoyancy, air share ,ect.....)at the end of the dive . usually we have done all we had set out to do. and the hang at the safety stop is a perfect place and time to work on your buoyancy . trim is some thing you work on through the hole dive . at the end of the dive ask your buddy to critique your dive . don't be shy as stated before most will not mind to help and work on them with you

Agree with Tfast78. You can't be the only rookie in town. Ask another rookie to hang with you and you both will progress.

I'm not sure I would ask another rookie. I know in my case, I learn more when I'm diving with people whose skill level far exceeds mine. They are more apt to spot issues and solutions, plus I learn a lot from emulating them. You normally can't get that type of input from a rookie.

Most experienced divers don't mind helping out a newbie to a limited extent, and often they will actually be pleased to be asked to work with you on your skills. Don't be too shy about it, just ask! If you don't make it a huge part of the dive so that your buddy can't have a proper dive tour, I would be willing to wager that s/he won't mind at all.

+1 on this. When I'm diving locally, it's usually with no agenda other than to get wet. I wouldn't want to spend vacation dives tutoring, but I'll spend all day locally helping someone. Most divers I know are the same way.

You'd be surprised at how much practicing in a pool in full cold water suit helps you. Remember buoyancy control is a lot harder the more shallow you are.

Keep a bucket of ice water and a rag nearby and be ready to take your hood off.

I "practice" skills on every dive, as do you. Hovering, buoyancy and body control, finning, etc. If you want to focus more on a skill during a dive, before the div, go over your expectations and goals with your buddy. I think most divers will be happy to take at least a part of each dive and join you in your exercises. Don't be timid. Speak up. Lots of divers feel (or felt) the way you do. You are active, and hooked up with a local club- both excellent aspects of your early diving routine. You might also suggest a specific club outing the purpose of which is to practice skills. A small group playing games like follow the leader, or "copy me" for 15 minutes at the outset of a dive can be fun and useful along with just practicing "at your own pace" as you say. And of course, taking more courses is also a good idea. Consider peak performance buoyancy and the AOW classes, and others of interest to you.
DivemasterDennis

I figure people are wary about insta buddies as it is, so I can't imagine asking someone to just 'hang out' a bit while I fart around with buoyancy.

Actually you need to ask. During the dive plan, I find out what my buddy wants to do on the dive. Then we either split up the dive or do two dives each with a different objective.

Personally, if you asked me, we would be doing a buoyancy dive but you wouldn't be farting around. Buoyancy is serious, it can turn a dive into a rescue in nothing flat.

Bob
------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Make "practice" a game that both you and your buddy can enjoy together.

I used to suspend a Hula-Hoop from the bottom using a 5-pound weight. We took turns trying to swim through without touching.

Great fun! Good practice! The possibilities for such practice are endless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom