how do you keep your mask from fogging up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ill give everything a try. you dont think washing the mask with soap and water hurts it do you?

Depending upon what soap. Some soaps have oils in them that will just make matters worse.
In a recent thread someone said they used baking soda and baby shampoo to clean the mask real good. The soda was coarse enough to "scrub" but not scratch the lense and the baby shampoo takes care of the oils.

Defog for a dive is either spit or 500psi.

Note: edited do to a typo...soap, not soup. ROFLMAO

kidspot:
I've found leaving my mask in the truck keeps it from fogging up most of the time :wink:

(yeah I'm in an sarcastic mood today)

i tried that one but then my eyes get a little foggy plus it tends to burn a little more.

Step 1) Scrub the mask again and again with white toothpaste and when you think you have it clean scrub it again. It should take you around 20 minutes. You can tell when its ready when you rinse it - the water will bead less on the clean surface and will not trickle around grease patches etc. The dirt and grease on the glass provides a surface for water vapour to condense onto.

Step 2) Rinse mask, keeping your dirty mitts off the glass surface.

Step 3) Mix around one third baby shampoo with two thirds water and squirt onto glass, swirl it around and drain excess. Most importantly - let the remaining mix dry on the glass - this creates a detergent film that will stop fogging.

Step 4) Go forth and marvel at the increable new vistas revealled before you

I usually carry a little squirt bottle of baby shampoo mix on my dives for top ups.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Once your mask is cleaned apply Sea Drop or 500psi or whatever...DON'T BREAK THE SEAL ON YOUR FACE...during a dive I see people surface and the first thing they do is take their mask off to talk. Even before the dive I see this...Keep it on! One buddy of mine would always fog up and would ask me why don't I? I said don't ever break the seal of the mask unless the dive is over, OR YOUR MASK WILL FOG UP NO MATTER WHAT YOU USE...Just keep it on as soon as the drops are applied rub it in the lens and dunk the mask once in the water and remember...don't break the seal until the dive is over.

Live by the rule...the fins come off before the mask!

Back
Top Bottom