how do you keep your mask from fogging up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spit, spit and some more spit. I spit on mine just prior to entering the water, then I swish some seawater in it to was it out and I'm good to go! No problems with fogging.

An alternative which you might try depending on your comfort level with mask clearing and the temp. of water, is breaking the seal of your mask with your face underwater thereby flooding it a little. Swish around the seawater a little and then clear your mask.....
Voilà no more fog!

That's good advise about not breaking the seal. Also, I've seen divers wearing the mask on their heads, their forehead or around their neck. I don't know about them, but my mask will fog up even before I put it on my face when I do that, especially if it's a sunny day. It seems the exposure to sun and your wet suit causes fog to immediately form no matter what you put on it before. I have prescription lens and before each dive I rinse the mask in fresh water. Then, I apply a ton of the thick gel-style defogger and rub and swish it all around in every crack and crevise of the mask including the nose, not just the lens. Then, rinse lightly in the fresh water again. Although, most of the time on shore dive I use salt water...still works. After that, I have a no fog dive. Good luck.

LobstaMan

ok I'll put in one "serious" tip I've used. Since I do all ocean dives, I'll fill one of my fins with water from a jug in the truck, carry it with me and rinse my mask in it that gives me some fresh water in a rinse bucket. XXL Jets hold nearly 1/2 gallon of water so they work great for this - Thanks Uncle Pug for telling me not to drill drain holes in them :D
Aloha, Tim

Make sure the toothpaste is not the gel type, as this will not work. Another option is Softscrub, like used for cleaning sinks, etc.

Mask defog liquid works perfect or toothpaste. In case you forgot both home spit inside and scrub...

Robert

I use Sea Drops (one little bottle will last a casual diver for a long time). I put a couple of drops in and smear them around before I start setting up anything else. I put on my exposure suit, set up the tank, whatever else, then the last thing before I hit the water I just dip the mask one time and put it on. I've never had a fogging problem with this routine.

I'm curious why some people have fogging problems and others don't? I only did a quick scrub with tooth paste for a minute or two when new, and just spit/rub/rinse before each dive, and haven't experienced any fogging problems? I would think cold water diving would be more prone to fogging than warm. Do some people just have better spit or something?

FS: Jason's Spit, $50 ounce. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom