How do you log your dives?

How do you log your dives?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a lined record book for my regular log. It's flexible. To keepo track of numbers, I use Excel. I also log at www.diverecord.com.

Add me to the list of thoes who write it out on paper, then download my computer to my PC to store the dive details. (Of course, the PC version only gets updated sporatically...)

Hmmm backup... I guess I should be photocopying my log book??? :wink: paper isn't any better necessarily than a comp, just different... I'm sure many a log book has found itself diving in water, accidently being dropped, left behind in a hotel room...

Computer.

I created an Access Database to record my dives. Recorded info is:
Date, Bottom Time, Total Run Time, Max Depth, Average Depth, Dive Type (Training, Experience, Skill Practice), Dive Site, Buddy1, Buddy2 (if applicable), Gear Configue (Single, Double, etc...), Gas, and Notes.

I like Access because it allows me to manipulate the data which I have done to create a report that summarizes my dive info.

I've created several tables to show the following: number of dives per month, number of dives per site, breakdown of dives by type and site and number of dives with a given buddy. Very useful information.

Jonathan

First 19 are in my PADI log book. Then I got a computer and I rewrote them into the log software and since then I just download from the computer and fill in the details (place, conditions, buddies, gear, comments, etc.) in the sotware. I then print out a new dive list, graph chart of new dives, and back it all up.

I've been using the Padi log book while out diving and then I log my dives on the Padi website when I get home. It's important to keep a hard copy at all times for the purposes of advancing your training.

I still use the ol' paper and pen method, although I'm looking at some software options.

I'm also thinking of making an attempt to write my own - it's a good way to learn programming :D

Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom