How do you not get water up your nose when you remove your mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only time I had any problem with a mask removal in real life was in extremely cold water. The sudden rush of icy cold water on my face was so shocking that I lost control of my buoyancy for a moment. I don't remember water getting up into my nose at all.

dv:
No not exhaling for 30 secs.. :) I just meant that i inhale from the reg and exhale through the nose. When I am putting the mask over my nose and fitting it to my face, I exhale because the water gets pushed up my nose as I press the mask on. Maybe I am not shutting the the nasal passage correctly? I thought I was doing it right because I had no problems with no-mask swimming/breathing, and all the mask removal/replacement skills.

Shutting your soft palate only blocks water from going down your throat through your nose. It doesn't prevent water from entering all together. There's still plenty of air space in your sinuses and nasal passages for water to occupy. That's why I exhale out my nose too when I'm maskless. :wink:

I'll add that if you're in the water without your mask, try not to invert yourself or your sinuses will hate you for weeks. Viruses can live in chlorinated water for a while. I once caught a cold after getting my sinuses filled with public pool water. I know this to be the case because instantly my sinuses became congested and for the first time my cold started with a runny nose rather than a sore throat. This was was in the beginning of June btw. :shakehead:
And if you're in the ocean there's fecal matter and terrestrial runoff to deal with. Icky......

g1138, I stand corrected. I wrongly assumed that water wasn't entering my sinuses because I've never had any problems there while swimming/head under water, etc.

dv, Sounds like you are closing the palate correctly if you have no concerns on the no mask swim. Perhaps you are releasing it just as you put the mask back on? Or, as pointed out, maybe that's when water gets in your sinuses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom