how do you practice really basic skills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi
This has been bugging me since I started diving 17 months ago--

I don't have a dive partner, and I would like to practice the basics over and over again until I am confident in the water.

I'm on my 14th dive, and unsteady with the basic skills like emergencies, buoyancy, and air usage. I'd like to practice the details, like taking my BCD off and on, my tank coming loose, hovering. Tho it's tempting to say "just go in the water somewhere," I am talking about the stuff that bores most divers out for the day in the quarry or lake.

I'm not attached to a university or college, but I would like to approach one about being able to dive in their scuba clubs, if they have one, and practice in the pool with them.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Fair Haired Menace

I live near Annapolis and there is a scuba store that goes to a local quarry in VA. They may let you tag along. I know what you mean about wanting to practice. I am getting ready to head to Honduras for a week of diving and it has been 3 years since I last dove, so I am nervous and trying to remember everything. Anytime you are interested in diving, let me know. I am determined to not let 3 years go by without diving.

Hi Fair Haired Menace,

After I got certified I ask the Local Dive Shop (LDS) where I got certified if I could go in the pool for their next class they had. They let me do that, which was great and they did not charge me. Not sure if your LDS will be able to do this for you, but it can not hurt to ask.

I commend you on wanting to practice your skills. At the begging of every dive season I would do all of my skills even the most basic ones. I did not do this last year and I will never skip them again.

Let us know how you make out.
Tim

Drop me an e-mail and I'll let you know when were heading up to the quarries. Before too long here it is going to be a weekly occurrence.

Check out the various LDS. I know Divers Den on Harford Road is doing something at Guppy this weekend. Most of the LDS well let you 'play in the pool' when they are doing classes and stuff. Aquaventures calls this play time.

Post on the Mid-Atlantic bottom feeders forum

Where did you get certified?

Quarries are boring as hell anyway, so they are the perfect place to practice your skills. I use Rawlings to check out gear and when I go there, I also practice my skills. My wife, for instance hates to have her mask flooded, but once a year, she gets in the pool and removes and replaces her mask just to review the skill. Me, I sometimes take my mask off on a dive and replace it just to clean off the inside of the mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom