How do you purchase REQUIRED equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SolarStorm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok so your 2 year old antique regulator needs replacing with the latest "Easy Breath" regulator with shiney new sticker on the front. The price is only $$$$$. But, life cannot go on until it is in your kit bag?

Do you:

1. Ask your significant other if you can purchase it and live with the answer?
  2. Hunt for 6 days or forever, whichever comes first, for a great deal on Ebay and convince yourself that saving $2 was worth it?
  3. Buy it an nervously watch the mail for the package and CC bill so you can intercept them before your significant other finds out?
  4. Buy it and claim it was on sale for only $20.
  5. Break your 1 year old antique so you have no choice to buy something new?
  6. Drop LOTS of subtle hints about what you want for Christmas?
  7. Divorice and then realize you have no money left?
  8. My significant other dives, and I HAVE to be the bad guy and put the breaks on the new toys?
  9. I ask and then continue to dive with my antiques
  10. Other, please specify...

Other - my SO dives so everything is bought 2x. Makes life simple.
For the record, her equipment is all equal to or better than mine. Otherwise I'd have a guilty conscience if anything happened to her because of equipment.

10. It has recently come to your attention that your should dive with a pony bottle for that extra margin of safety. Now, you might trust your life to a rented pony bottle, but you will need to buy another reg (wouldn't want to trust your life to a rental) for the pony. Retire your older reg to the pony, use the new one.

Simple I buy it for my Divemaster wife as a gift.

You can't put a price on safety right?

3 is the closest for me. I recently ordered new BCDs and reg/gauge sets for the SO and me for our upcoming trip. We've always brought our mask/snorkel/fins and computers and rented the rest. I decided it was time to buy our own gear. I just ordered it and waited till the big box showed up from UPS.

She was a bit surprised, but OK with it. We both have jobs and keep separate bank accounts along with a joint account, so that makes it a lot easier when I hide a bit on the side and it's out of "my money" not "our money".

Skis are my downfall. I already have 5 pairs, but I really only use the three newest ones and they all have different purposes. And they wear out. She has 1 pair. It's much harder to justify why I "need" another pair. I imagine it will be the same when I "need" to upgrade dive equipment.

Ok so your 2 year old antique regulator needs replacing with the latest "Easy Breath" regulator with shiney new sticker on the front.

My best reg I bought 1976, I'm still diving with it. If you bought a reg 2 years ago and :confused: ........never mind me

Ebay the old one to cut down on the out of pocket expense of the new reg.

11. LeadTurn_SD's Law Of Scuba Gear Purchases and Spousal Permission:

"It is sometimes easier to do the deed and beg forgiveness than to ask permission and be denied".

Good luck :D

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom