How do you transport your gear? Car/truck/C-130?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Living in the southeastern U.S., I think it's law that I own a pick-up. :D

I built a tank rack that folds so that I can load/unload all tanks at the tailgate, and then fold up/down and push/pull in/out so I don't have to climb up in the bed.

Attachments

• DSCN0809.jpg
    DSCN0809.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 105
  • truck002.jpg
    truck002.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 99
  • rack001.jpg
    rack001.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 122
My 1992 Toyota Previa has enough room for three divers, six tanks, and all our gear.
Running great with 245,000 miles.

Wow! That's impressive with that many miles too! Nice.

I have a 2009 Toyota Rav4. The seats fold down flat. I can load my doubles, his rebreather box, my gear box (black bottom and yellow top - so I can sit on it to don my undergarment and drysuit) his gear box and all our DUI bags with drysuits and undergarments. Burried in there are his rebreather tanks.

Plus one "rolling" suitcase each, all our camera gear. With all that in the back, we can still see out the rear view mirror.

I haven't checked the max load on it but with the way my Rav4 climbs hills, I'm ok.

But if you get one, get the 6 cylinder. My 4 cylinder is looses gas mileage at 75.

And I get 28mpg.

Last edited:
Honda Ridgeline is probably the most versatile vehicle I have ever owned for outdoor activities. It travels very well, has a truck bed big enough to hall gear for a small dive group, has a large seperate trunk for security/separation of wet/dry gear, rear seats flip up giving even more space in the back, roof rack holds kayaks and all sorts of other larger gear, the tailgate swings out and down which is a very nice feature, truck bed is lighted with built in protector, it is AWD and used ones don't cost a fortune as well as well known Honda reliability.

I installed an aluminum bed cover on mine and concealed a toggle switch that turns off the electronic locks. I can leave shore items in the locked up bed area. It would take some a good long time to pry their way into that section and completely conceals what is actually in the car.

The downsides are the poorer gas mileage and the huge turning radius.

163_0604_11z_06toty_+2006_honda_ridgeline+bed_cargo_trunk.jpg

163_0604_09z_06toty_+2006_honda_ridgeline+back_seat.jpg

Ridgeline Review: http://www.trucktrend.com/oftheyear/truck/163_0604_2006_toty_honda_ridgeline/index.html

Nice truck Straegen, never seen it before, I guess for N. American market only.

I think they are made in Canada but not sure all the places it is available. It is a very limited market vehicle though. Even here in the states the sales numbers on it are modest hence the ability to usually find one very cheap. It is an odd mesh of features and design almost custom built for mountain bikers, backpackers, divers and the like.

Couldn't pass up the title. I've transported my gear in all 3! My car, my pickup and in a C-130! All over the South Pacific and Central America in the 80's! LOL

Couldn't pass up the title. I've transported my gear in all 3! My car, my pickup and in a C-130! All over the South Pacific and Central America in the 80's! LOL

Show off! :D

I have a crew cab 4wd diesel dually. I can carry everything, including wash tubs to most shore sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom