How do you wear your mask when your not using it?

How do you wear your mask?

• Around neck

Votes: 60 51.7%
  • Forehead

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • Backwards

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • Arm/Clip/Other

Votes: 13 11.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's NOT a signal.

CuriousMe once bubbled...

Knowing that it is a distress signal and choosing to do it, no matter the effect on others, because you don't want to break a habit is inconsiderate.

Gladly pardoned, but I disagree with your assertion that the difference is inconsequential. A mask on the forehead is a sign that may indicate distress in the same way that folded arms are a sign that may indicate a person is angry. It may also be that they are cold, or find that position comfortable for napping, or hurt their arm, or whatever. Unlike a screaming tantrum, which is a signal, this sign is simply one thing to consider. A possible clue, if you will.

Now, if someone has their arms folded, is kicking dirt, muttering under their breath, and has furrowed eyebrows, I might assume they were angry. By themselves, any of those signs is almost meaningless.

A mask on the head is not the equivalent of a billboard saying "Diver in Distress", but it's something that indicates it may be worth taking a second to see if there are any other reasons to believe the individual is having trouble. If not, no problem.

MSilvia once bubbled...
I disagree. It's a sign in the same way that folded arms are a sign that may indicate a person is angry. It may also be that they are cold, or find that position comfortable, or hurt their arm, or whatever. Unlike a screaming tantrum, which is a signal, this sign is simply one thing to consider. A possible clue, if you will.

Now, if someone has their arms folded, is kicking dirt, and has furrowed eyebrows, I might assume they were angry. By themselves, any of those signs is almost meaningless.

You can disagree, that's fine...but really it is semantics.

As with folding arms across your body, yes it can mean different things, so I'm careful to not do it when it might be interpreted wrong, as in a job interview, or another important meeting....why? Because in that situation, it might cause someone to think twice about why I was doing it....it's an indicator that something is wrong (i.e. I’m angry, or withdrawn)....I'm smart enough to not just react (even if I'm chilly) because I know that gesture can mean different things. The same way that a mask on my forehead while I'm on land walking to the boat, obviously doesn't mean I'm in distress....but while I'm in the water it might be interpreted as that.....why cause someone to wonder....oh, sorry you answered that...you might be inconvenienced. Evidently, that' s much more important.

MSilvia once bubbled...
A mask on the head is not the equivalent of a billboard saying "Diver in Distress", but it's something that indicates it may be worth taking a second to see if there are any other reasons to believe the individual is having trouble. If not, no problem.

No one but you said it was a billboard, just that it's an indicator of a panicked diver....I see no reason to communicate that I'm panicked when I'm not. I was taught better than to cry wolf.

I don't see it as crying wolf, but then, I've never been one for reading too much into things. I fold my arms if the mood strikes me, even at interviews, and I could care less if others do, because I'm aware that it could mean anything or nothing.

Despite being generally very considerate, I'm sure prefering to wear my mask securely on my forehead probably makes me a bad person, and I'll no doubt go straight to hell for it.

:sweetdev:

Honestly, I had forgotten (because it had been so long since someone referred to it) about the stress thing. Mostly I have it on my face or around my arm. I occasionally put it on my forehead when I am just doing it for a moment because the clip from my snorkel grabs my hair. I can't stand anything around my neck, so that's out.

astrl

Well I have to agree with Sylvia here. I consider myself a very considerate person, but I was never taught that it was a sign of distress and I ALWAYS wear it on my forehead (and probably won't change), and not once has anyone ever said a thing about it. I'm also sure that no one ever thought I was in distress either.

When I did my Padi OW I was taught it was one of the signs of distress. I never wore it on my forehead because of that.
It always goes around my neck until I'm ready to get in the water, and goes back around my neck when I'm walking up the ladder.
Same thing for shore diving. I guess my first instructor's ways, stayed with me.

pt40fathoms once bubbled...

It is for this very reason that a distressed diver will often seek out this action first. It is also the reason that when asked if everything is OK, they respond with "yes", when in fact what they are saying is "yes I'm feeling better NOW". This is not the only action a distressed diver will take, as some of you have pointed out, but it's important to note that not all distressed divers will thrash about in the water and cry for help either. In some cases ego or embarrassment will rise up as soon as the distressed diver feels "a little better", and will prevent them from calling for help. They may be struggling, but the struggle is subtle and will end in a drowning without much fanfare or splashing.

This is why a dive master/instructor/rescue diver will pay very close attention to any person who appears to be rejecting equipment and seeking that "safe" place.

Whether or not one puts their mask on their forehead wil remain a debate. My questions as to the quote are: What scientific evidence is there that the first place a distressed diver places their mask is on their forehead? Are their any research articles that have taken a significant number of distressed divers and looked at where they place their masks and correlated the placement with a desire to "get comfortable"? I do not ask this to be arguementative but to try to determine if teachings are based on scientific evidence or because of the "it's the way we've always done it" syndrome.

If it is comfortable to place the mask on the forehead for a distressed diver then why should I not place it there when I am not distressed so I, too, may be "comfortable"? It is not inconsiderate to place equipment where one is comfortable. It seems rather justified to NOT place it where it is uncomfortable and cause "distress". I know that when I have placed my mask around my neck I feel choked and then feel as though I will break my strap when I pull it back up. If that happened, I'd really be distressed.

Please, if one can, show me the scientific evidence that placing one's mask on their forehead is done due to distress of the diver.

ScubaCRNA, allow me to throw in my 2 cents.

Reading pt40fathoms excellent explanation is good enough for me. You will find in this "sport" a lack of scientific studies determining cause and effect. Probably due to being fairly new, and the complexity of the subject matter. I think that our technological prowess is causing a false sense of human mastery over nature and presumed knowledge of it.

Keep in mind that as this sport grows in popularity and accesability, many of the new comers expect and demand the comforts we are used to. The technology is better and safer now, but this does'nt change the fact we are entering a hostile human environment where life is only sustainable by life support systems. An expedition into this environment is not to be taken lightly, hence I see why something as simple as mask placement could become an important consideration. In the future, with better technology and understanding, we may see things differently or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom