How do you wear your mask when your not using it?

How do you wear your mask?

• Around neck

Votes: 60 51.7%
  • Forehead

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • Backwards

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • Arm/Clip/Other

Votes: 13 11.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradfordNC once bubbled...

have always heard the thing about placing the mask on the forehead being a sign of distress.
the thing that gets me about that is, if someone is realy freaked out and in distress, do you think they are gonna put their mask up on their forehead???

I doubt it BradfordNC, I think they will "thrash about while yelling, coughing, hacking, spitting, flailing, and kicking?" as scubaCRNA described it! I think you'll notice they are in distress long before you notice if their mask is on their forehead or not!

As another former skiier, on my forehead has always felt most comfortable, but I see the point about it being a loss risk there and a sign of distress. In addition, I have a rather short neck, so around my neck would feel very confining to me.

Maybe I'll try backwards next time I need to... though since I wear contacts I rarely take the mask away from its proper position from the time I hit the water to the time I exit. Don't want a rogue wave coming up and washing a lens out.

BurBunny once bubbled...
As another former skiier,

Former skier BurBunny??? You mean you gave up skiing? You know you can both scuba and ski (though not at the same time LOL)!

got4boyz once bubbled...

Former skier BurBunny??? You mean you gave up skiing? You know you can both scuba and ski (though not at the same time LOL)!

Beth,

Tell that to my knees. Did way too much racing when I was young... and just said "no" to surgery (this was before arthroscopy was invented and I was too vain to accept 2 6" scars in each knee).

So since my knees have a vote in this discussion, I'm a diver :wink:

but at least you can dive. To tell the truth, I'll go diving over skiing any day. I like to ski but I'd just as soon fly to Cozumel to dive than to Jackson Hole to ski! :)

On the diving vs. skiing. While I loved to ski, diving is a whole different world. Though I sure wish we could get an ocean in Colorado. I'd trade a couple of our ski resorts... anyone want to trade me 10 miles of ocean with healthy reef for... Copper Mountain?

I could not post on the poll..... During my OW class instructor required us to wear it backwards. I keep it on if I'm doing a boat dive until I get on board, During surface dives I will wear it while walking to shore.

Wildbill

:copper:

Around my neck. That's what our OW instructors told us to do in class. I'm a newbie so I definitely don't want to send out a mistaken signal that I'm in distress. Also (again being a newbie) I'm flat broke from all my recent gear purchases. I can't afford to lose my mask!!!!

I don't really like the feeling of it around my neck, though. Didn't know backwards would work. I'll have to try it.

I guess that I don't understand why folks think it matters if they agree that a maks on a forehead is a sign of distress....it really doesn't matter.

This isn't the Easter Bunny, it doesn't matter if someone believes in it or not, it is an established distress sign...whether you think it's how you would react or not.

Would you say, that you don't believe that a red light means you can not go straight or turn left through the intersection? If you did, would it matter to the person you were telling?

My .02

Peace,
Cathie

As i am new to this sport i have not got into any habits yet,I try to keep it on my face as much as possible as this helps me practise breathing through the mouth (when i first started i used to watch TV with it on ).But more recently in the pool i just pull it down to my neck to talk to people.

Regards,

MAL..

Back
Top Bottom