How do you wear your mask when your not using it?

How do you wear your mask?

• Around neck

Votes: 60 51.7%
  • Forehead

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • Backwards

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • Arm/Clip/Other

Votes: 13 11.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a potential rescuer should attempt to verify whether a person is in distress if they suspect they might be. If I have my mask on my head, a concerned party on shore/boat would only have to give the "OK?/OK" to know I wasn't. Getting mad at someone for calmly appearing to be in distress is, IMHO, just silly.

It's a sign someone might be in distress, not a sworn affadavit that they need assistance. Personally, I consider mask removal on the surface to be a more telling sign.

MSilvia once bubbled...
a potential rescuer should attempt to verify whether a person is in distress if they suspect they might be. If I have my mask on my head, a concerned party on shore/boat would only have to give the "OK?/OK" to know I wasn't. Getting mad at someone for calmly appearing to be in distress is, IMHO, just silly.

That's exactly my point though....if you came up and put your mask anywhere else, they wouldn't even have to do OK?/OK....I couldn't see someone getting mad about it....but it's just plain inconsiderate and rude to give folks a reason to investigate whether you're having problems, just because you don't want to be inconvenienced by putting your mask anywhere else.

Of course I'm not speaking about you personally....don't know where you keep your mask <grin>

MSilvia once bubbled...
It's a sign someone might be in distress, not a sworn affadavit that they need assistance. Personally, I consider mask removal on the surface to be a more telling sign. [/B]

Absolutely, it's one sign.....but it is a sign. I'm not saying that if there's a person with a mask on their forehead that a rescuer should initiate a rescue and ask questions later....I just can't understand why folks would choose to do it when it is a sign of distress.

Peace,
Cathie

How about: because it isn't a very robust sign of distress, isn't universally recognised, and is in general a very convenient place to put a mask. No one I've ever gone with has mistook my mask wearing for a distress signal, or even mentioned it... this thread is the first I've heard of it.

Given the choice of either potentially inconveniencing someone who isn't diving with me, or definately inconveniencing myself, I'll opt for the former. If anyone ever mentions being bothered by it, I'll explain that if I'm going to signal distress it'll be with a sausage and/or whistle, but I'll be willing to forego my habit out of courtesy if they're insistant.

CuriousMe once bubbled...

I just can't understand why folks would choose to do it when it is a sign of distress.

There are inconsiderate folks in every walk of life and I guess we have to have our share in the diving world.

I can understand someone choosing to be inconsiderate (as sad as that is), but I can't understand going through PADI Rescue Diver and not having heard that a mask on the forehead is a sign of distress. I remember it being in my OW book/class, and I'd be really surprised if it wasn't in the Rescue class. Does it kinda make you wonder what else you missed that was taught???

I've heard that it's not taught as a sign of distress in all agencies....but I know for sure it's taught in PADI.

I was taught that it was a sign of possible distress, but along with things like being wide eyed, or breathing heavily, we were taught that it is one of many signs that should be taken in context. For example, if my buddy was wide eyed and breathing heavily after an encounter with a mermaid, I would presume excitement rather than a problem. I might still double check with an "OK?/OK" though.

If a diver surfaced suddenly and alone, forgot to inflate her BC, either removed or lifted her mask, and seemed to be having difficulty, I would be inclined to take the lifted mask as reasonable indication of distress. If I saw the same diver surface normally, inflate for positive bouyancy, lift her mask, and with her buddy begin a leisurely surface swim toward shore, I would not.

I was taught that it's a possible indication to be taken in context, not that it's a distress signal. There's a big difference. If someone who didn't need assistance was waving a safety sausage or flashing a mirror and blowing an air horn, I would consider that reckless. If someone has a mask on their forehead, that's a different kind of thing altogether.

IMHO, if someone mistakes my lifted mask for a distress signal, they either didn't understand the assessment lesson, or were taught differently than I was.

I did say "distress sign" in my prior post, and apologise for the confusion. I meant signal, and have edited it.

I don't recall being taught that a mask on your forehead is a distress signal. I asked my husband and he had never heard of such a thing. We were certified by different agencies. So how could I be being inconsiderate if I didn't even know it was a sign of distress?!?!?!?!?!?!

MSilvia once bubbled...

I was taught that it's a possible indication to be taken in context, not that it's a distress signal. There's a big difference. If someone who didn't need assistance was waving a safety sausage or flashing a mirror and blowing an air horn, I would consider that reckless. If someone has a mask on their forehead, that's a different kind of thing altogether.

I'm curious as to what is different besides the fact that one behavior is something that you think changing is inconvenient and the others aren't? ]

got4boyz once bubbled...
I don't recall being taught that a mask on your forehead is a distress signal. I asked my husband and he had never heard of such a thing. We were certified by different agencies. So how could I be being inconsiderate if I didn't even know it was a sign of distress?!?!?!?!?!?!

I wouldn't say that not knowing makes you inconsiderate....but knowing and deciding to do it anyway certainly would.

Knowing that it is a distress signal and choosing to do it, no matter the effect on others, because you don't want to break a habit is inconsiderate.

Please allow me to explain "why" a mask on the forehead is a sign or "potential" distress.

A diver, or for that matter any person, in distress will often revert to instinct rather than reason. It is similar to the fight or flight reaction that often takes hold of a person without thought or planning during times of sudden danger or distress. This instinct will also cause a person to seek out a normalizing environment or action, in an attempt to feel safe. This can be best demonstrated by individuals who "want to go home" or call out for a parental figure when mortally wounded in an accident or during times of war.

This seeking out of a normalizing environment or action can in many cases, if achieved, give temporary relief from the distressing situation. In the case of a diver in distress, this action can be as simple as trying to feel the most comfortable. As many of you have stated, the mask on the forehead "feels normal" or is "comfortable". It is for this very reason that a distressed diver will often seek out this action first. It is also the reason that when asked if everything is OK, they respond with "yes", when in fact what they are saying is "yes I'm feeling better NOW". This is not the only action a distressed diver will take, as some of you have pointed out, but it's important to note that not all distressed divers will thrash about in the water and cry for help either. In some cases ego or embarrassment will rise up as soon as the distressed diver feels "a little better", and will prevent them from calling for help. They may be struggling, but the struggle is subtle and will end in a drowning without much fanfare or splashing.

This is why a dive master/instructor/rescue diver will pay very close attention to any person who appears to be rejecting equipment and seeking that "safe" place.

I hope this has answered the question "why" it is viewed as a sign of distress, and is discouraged.

that a signal is a deliberate indication that something is wrong, and that assistance is required, while a sign is a behavior, perhaps involuntary, that can sometimes indicate that there is a problem.

Putting your mask on your head is not a good way to signal that you need help, but it is useful to know that irrational mask removal is often a behavior exhibited by panic-stricken divers at the surface. Methodical mask removal is not often something paniced divers do, and it's difficult to confuse one with the other if you take the whole picture into consideration.

If it's selfish and inconsiderate of me to make diving comfortably a priority over taking care not to worry random bystanders that might misunderstand problem assessment, so be it. I can live with that.

Back
Top Bottom