How does Rescue Diver compare?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rdmoody13

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking to advance myself to be a Rescue Diver. I have my Openwater done, and as of September of this year, I will be a Nationally Registered Paramedic. I am curious how much of the paramedic might compensate for classroom time toward the medical half of Rescue Diver. Anyone know?

Not trying to get out of anything, just figured one might help the other.

Thanks as always for your help everyone!

rdmoody13:
I am looking to advance myself to be a Rescue Diver. I have my Openwater done, and as of September of this year, I will be a Nationally Registered Paramedic. I am curious how much of the paramedic might compensate for classroom time toward the medical half of Rescue Diver. Anyone know?

I think you'll also need to complete your AOW while or before doing your rescue diver course.

http://www.padi.com/english/common/courses/rec/continue/rescue.asp

Rescue diver is actually EFR and Rescue Diver. They're usually bunched into one package for simplicity. If you already have CPR, red cross, or something similar, then you get to skip the EFR portion I think. Although EFR and Rescue Diver is pretty much the same thing, Rescue Diver includes diver specific scenarios.

Like everyone else has said, you will have met the requirements for the EFR portion of the course. The rescue diver portion is a blast--very serious, but a lot of laughs as well. Of all the courses, up through DM, it was my favorite. I'll never forget first learning in-water mouth-to-mouth in the pool--screaming "pizza, pizza, we have an unconscious diver at the surface!", trying to keep the victim's airway clear of water, while the other 4 DMTs jumped in from the edges to create our own wave pool...or getting to be a panicked diver at the surface--laughing and yelling, trying to scramble on top of my roommate, while she fought tooth and nail to keep me away. Yeah, it's something I smile about, just remembering. I'd strongly recommend it, not just for the entertainment, but as a very conrete way of making yourself a safer and more self-sufficient diver.

Diver Diver are you OK? I just took the class, still pumped up. :D

You will have to finish your AOW before you can do Rescue for PADI.

Your paramedic training will "get you out of" the EFR part of the class. That's the CPR and first aid part. (been there, done that.)
You would not want to pass out of any of the rescue diving section. That is the hardest, but most interesting and fun part of the class.

If you want to make the class harder on yourself (yea, I know, masochist) imagine the victim is your child. Really makes you work on calming down and controlling the adrenaline and still thinking.

After all the CPR training, my girlfriend says I'm a better kisser, do it!

rdmoody13:

This is an overview - exact requirements can be found in the PADI Rescue Manual.

Exercise 1 - Tired Diver
Demonstrate appropriate response to a distressed but rational diver
approach, evaluation, contact, calm victim, assist, transport, equipment removal

With distressed but rational diver at surface
approach, evaluate: head out of water, paced, address diver to determine level of response
contact, calm: attempt to talk diver through problem, establish buoyancy, provide tactile and vocal support, allow rest if possible
assist and transport: face dry, near horizontal, able to swim, in control at surface
equipment removal: weights if necessary, tank if necessary, rescuer bcd can be extended to victim

Exercise 2 - Panicked Diver
Demonstrate appropriate response to a panicked (irrational) diver
same as above but practice releases, underwater approach, turning and knee cradling victim

With panicked (irrational) diver at surface
approach, evaluate: head out of water, paced, address diver to determine level of response
contact, release, control: swim behind victim but if grabbed, push up and away to go underwater, turn victim by knees and come up behind , knee cradle, establish buoyancy
assist and transport: face dry, near horizontal, able to swim, in control at surface
equipment removal: weights if necessary, tank if necessary, rescuer bcd can be extended to victim

Exercise 3 - Response from shore or boat (without scuba) to a conscious victim
Respond to a conscious, distressed diver
nonswimming assists, entry considerations, egress with conscious victim

With conscious, distressed diver, rescuer dons mask and fins but does not wear scuba at surface
nonswimming assists: throw a line if w/in 9 meters, use tag line, use floats or makeshift (bds, fender buoys, whatever floats and can be thrown to victim)
entry considerations: use mask, fins, snorkel and something for floatation, enter water at point closest to victim and maintain view of victim (jump, don't dive)
egress with conscious victim: assist onto boat or shore at surface

Exercise 4 - Distressed diver underwater
Demonstrate proficiency in responding to a distressed or overexerted diver under water
Conduct alternate air source ascent as donor

With distressed or overexerted diver under water
approach, evaluate: use hand signals to determine level of response underwater
contact, calm: STOP victim, CONTACT victim, RESTABLISH breathing rythm, STABILIZE victim on safe, stable object if handy underwater
assist and transport: Victim signals out of air, rescuer brings him/her to the surface on alternate air source underwater

Exercise 5 - Missing diver
Demonstrate how to quickly search for and locate a missing diver using UW search pattern prescribed by instructor
Procedures include pinpointing where diver last seen, posting spotters to find bubbles, dispatch skin divers to initiate search and mark location if possibele, dispatch scuba teams when ready (establish recall system, terminate search in 30 min)

Missing diver under water
spotting: determine where diver last seen and send skin divers to mark spot, with marker buoys if possible, post spotters to look for bubbles, if practical have someone determine if diver may have exited area (car in parking lot? on another boat?) on shore or boat
organizing search: considering experience, decompression and air available, form teams, establish recall system when victim found. Avoid aggravating situation - if necessary, take a buddy and assuming air and no-deco time ok, you conduct search on shore or boat
search for victim: use appropriate search pattern "prescribed by instructor" in this exercise. Terminate search if diver not found in 30 min. underwater

Exercise 6 - Surfacing the unconscious diver
Demonstrate use of controlled positive buoyancy to assist ascent and surface simulated unconscious diver using BC of either victim or rescuer
Procedure: mechanical and oral inflation, vent excess air, flare to slow ascent, keep reg in victim's mouth (but don't put it there if it's out), position head, if removing weights do so and establish slightly positive buoyancy constantly adjusted for depth OR leave weights on and discard at surface

Exercise 7 - Unconscious diver at the surface

Exercise 8 - Egress with an unconscious diver

Exercise 9 - First aid for pressure related accidents

Exercise 10 - Response from shore or boat to an unconscious victim

Exercise 11 - Diving accident scenario 1 (underwater search)

Exercise 12 - Diving accident scenario 1 (response, egress, and management)

Paul in VT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom