How has Rescue Diver helped you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best course a Diver can take. Like the above has said, it wont really help your diving skills but it doe's wonders for your knowledge.

I really think the biggest thing Rescue does is teach you how to think about where you are and what you are doing, to avoid ever having to rescue or be rescued.

I've been involved in two attempted resuscitations of divers in cardiac arrest, but I'd have to say my medical training was more in play than my Rescue skills.

In my rescue class, many years ago, and those I am involved in teaching (about three every year) the primary benefit is to become a "what if" thinker- that is, to have a plan for emergencies and contingencies that may arise, and the skills to implement those plans if needed. Most important of all is thorough dive planning and preparation. For that reason, lesson one in our rescue classes is prevention through proper dive planning and safe diving practices. But when an emergency does arise, knowing the proper means of responding is essential, as is knowledge and skills for basic first aid. Re-read first aid manuals often, and have a quality medical kit appropriate to the circumstances of the dive. Review the rescue materials regularly as well. Rescue diver class is the beginning of a continuous attitude and constant refreshing of rescue and first aid skills. It's never over.
DivemasterDennis

It makes me get my butt to a First Aid class every few years, out of guilt...

And what others have said.

In my rescue class, many years ago, and those I am involved in teaching (about three every year) the primary benefit is to become a "what if" thinker- that is, to have a plan for emergencies and contingencies that may arise, and the skills to implement those plans if needed. Most important of all is thorough dive planning and preparation. For that reason, lesson one in our rescue classes is prevention through proper dive planning and safe diving practices. But when an emergency does arise, knowing the proper means of responding is essential, as is knowledge and skills for basic first aid. Re-read first aid manuals often, and have a quality medical kit appropriate to the circumstances of the dive. Review the rescue materials regularly as well. Rescue diver class is the beginning of a continuous attitude and constant refreshing of rescue and first aid skills. It's never over.
DivemasterDennis

Could not agree more, I start talking about "what if" in open water and I tell students that I expect to see all of them in a rescue class. I have been involved in 3 real rescues, and thankfully the shop I teach at requires us to participate in realistic rescue scenarios every spring or we don't teach.

I had 26 dives when I took the course. It opened my eyes to many things that I later felt all divers should know right out of OW class, but that's another thread. Of course it did give me a greater sense of self confidence. I too can't say that it did much to improve my diving. I also can't say that it made me more "carefull" when diving, as I honestly feel I took the whole idea VERY seriously as an OW candidate. I have had several personal situations that weren't serious, but a bit unnerving--due to currents or cramps. But I have yet to experience a rescue situation of another diver. My solo diving, 1-3 boat/buddy dives a year, very infrequent OW class DMing and advanced age of 58 may mean I never do. That would be just fine. As cascas stated, you won't know how you'll do until an actual situation arises. I like to think I'll follow my training.

For those that consider the best thing about this class is that it teaches you to be a "what if" thinker, would you still recommend it for people that already are like that? As a search and rescue member for the 12 of the last 14 years, I am very much that mindset. I've read the rescue course materials and done a lot of reading here about options for how to handle various scenarios so I haven't signed up for rescue yet. I need to improve my nav skills, first, I believe, but I'm wondering what else I'd get out of the actual practical course other than practicing search techniques. I know how to do the rescues, though I haven't practiced them so I can see that being the biggest asset for me in taking the course.

So would you recommend it to someone who already thinks as a "what if" and practices various what if scenarios on most dives?

It has made me a better diver because it has made me more concious of things...not that it actually improved my buoyancy or fining skills (although it did help improve my navigational skills). It also helped my husband and I become better dive buddies because we took the course together. I thoroughly enjoyed the course and we had a great instructor. I would recommend it to people.

I applied what I had learned in Rescue Class on a dive last week. There were 5 divers and a DM on this dive in Mexico. I was the odd man so I was buddies with the DM. I noticed with the other divers that one seemed experienced and the other three were newbies. I thought about the part of the RD class that addressed new and nervous divers that are not aware of what is going on.

When we descended, two who were buddies had trouble getting down. The experienced diver headed for the bottom and left their buddy as he descended. I watched as he tried to get down and noticed his tank had slipped out of the tank band and was hanging by a hose. He was also having trouble descending. If I had not been aware of possible problems from newbie divers and just descended, I would have missed the diver in trouble with the slipped tank. I went to him and repositioned his tank. The DM was busy with the other two divers. I helped the distressed dived down to his buddy while the DM helped the other two divers down to where the other diver was waiting. It turned out OK, but was better because I was watching the new divers rather than just descending and waiting.

Rescue Diver did this for me:

1.) Taught me the large majority of problems can be dealt with, IF you stop, think, act instead of panic and go nuts.

2.) Taught me some of the issues that can go wrong, so I'm hopefully less likely to be surprised by some of the potential problems.

3.) Instilled in me greater knowledge of and respect for potential lung over-expansion injuries, and the need for gradual ascents.

4.) Taught me to deliberately assess a dive site scenario for dangers & accessibility of help if things go south.

The SDI Solo Diver course has some similar benefits, in my view. Diving alone and rescuing other people sound like opposite issues, but some of the deliberate mindfulness and self-sufficiency can show up in both.

Richard.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom