How many countries have you been to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys make me jealous... only 5 *sighs*

I've been to 30 countries, 50 US states, 3 US territories, and all 7 continents. Hope to add 4 more countries by the end of the year.

I came up with 28, but diving is sure getting the list longer and fuller of smaller countries!

Edited to add: Peter reminded me about Switzerland and Japan, so it's actually 30. He still has me beat by a mile.

Last edited:
Lets see..
Sweden, Denmark, Germany, The Netherlands, Bulgaria, FYROM, Greece, Kosovo, Mexico, Egypt, UK, Poland (during the night only) and a couple "undisclosed ones".
Probably half a dozen ones I didn't leave the airport in. So plenty of travelling to do.
I have one I wont go to for the time being though and thats the Maldives..

So officially 12, unofficially a couple more..

urm...mexico, bahamas, jamaica, england, france, germany, austria, russia, south korea...that's all i can think of, so 9. kinda sad, really...but i got larry beat by 8!

How many countries has everyone else visited? My wife thinks it is a weird obsession of mine trying to go to new countries all the time, but it is a big world, and I like seeing different parts of it.
Apparently you have a lot of company in this obsession. From a recent article in Slate:

Country collectors accumulate visits to places the way philatelists accumulate stamps and grandmothers accumulate Hummel figurines. It is their life's work. They are slaves to a pair of diverse passions that turn out not to be mutually exclusive: the adventurer's love of exploration, and the anal-retentive's love for crossing things off lists.

I have to tally them up. Despite having lived abroad for much of my adult life, my total won't be nearly as high as yours and some others. I am quite content to revisit the same beach month in and month out if the water is warm and the beach uncrowded.

...countries we're allowed back to???????
My buddy is persona non grata in Vietnam, it seems. Well, not legally, but he can't get an entry visa. We're not sure what he did to deserve that, but he did send a bunch of letters from Ho Chi Minh that started out:

Saigon... $hit; I'm still only in Saigon... Every time I think I'm gonna wake up back in the jungle.

and continued...

Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger. Each time I looked around the walls moved in a little tighter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom