How many here Post on Facebook about Scuba Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am an occasional user of Facebook. I mostly post carefully photoshopped pictures of myself, often leaning against an expensive sports car. They are intended to create the illusion that I am wealthier, thinner, and better preserved than I actually am. My target audience are my ex-wives and ex-girlfriends, who can now rue the day they rejected me. :wink:

I also like to keep track of ex-wives and ex-girlfriends: you know, see how they're doing, how fat they've gotten. It's amazing how great some of them look, actually. :D

Oh yeah, I post my dive pictures to Facebook, also. Here's a photo tip for all you beginners: there's nothing more slimming than a black 5-mm wetsuit. :D

Last edited:
I would say FB is the perfect place for a dive shop to focus their efforts - my preferred LDS is highly active on FB - but not in a "Sell sell sell" kind of way, but rather in a "Here's what we are doing, here's where we are going, here's an interesting scuba article, here's a bunch of new diver photos, Ooooh your photos from your last trip are awesome, hey - do you remember Joe - He's in borneo look at some of his photos" kind of way - the shop does not do any print or "traditional" media advertising - it is all word of mouth and digital. When people do OW with them, they take photos of them during the course, they are posted of Facebook and the students are tagged - the picture visible to friends of friends - and word spreads. They don't own their own boat, but routinely charter (and fill) other companies boats around the area just by posting about the trip on facebook and in their weekly email newsletter. In saying that, the page is not strictly posts from them - they also follow a lot of their members posts and work on establishing a relationship with their customers. They have recognised that a local dive shop gets support when the clients see them not only as "a place to get air" but also as a place to come and shoot the diving breeze. An informal survey of customers of the shop showed that whilst all of them look online for gear, if the shop could get within the ballpark of the online price very few were not willing to pay a bit more because of the service. The same cannot be said of a couple of other shops in the area, whom I would rather pay a bit more and wait 3 weeks for gear to arrive than buy from them.

I am part of a couple of FB dive groups too - whilst shop employees and shops joining these groups to promote themselves is frowned upon, they are more than welcome to post trips that are going out, social activities and respond to questions regarding courses.

I use FB for pretty much everything. It's more or less a journal for me an a way to let interested people know what I'm up to. I have quite a few 'friends' from the diving community on FB who I have never met, but I guess they think I'm interesting enough to follow. If someone is interested in why I have to say or what I'm up to, that's fine by me. I hope to meet them some day and make a real connection. I don't add people I don't know, though. Not my style.

FB groups are a good way to organize people an events, but the advertizements are so-so in my opinion.

I use FB infrequently and at that mostly to keep up with distant family and friends. I do not buy from FB and if anything would avoid businesses that prompt unsolicited ads on my page. I am "friends" with some dive ops that I go out with to keep up with dive condition and view their pictures.

Yes. FB is my primary location for posting about my diving. FB has really hit the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew Forum pretty hard. We have a FB group and that is where most of the action is now, not on SB. Why? I believe it's because on SB you can "hide" behind an alias, while on FB you cannot. You know who everyone is and can also see and interact with other aspects of their lives. Just a thought.

I'm still trying to figure out who "Dan Sfjd PalmBeach" is. What a strange middle name...

I post on FB frequently (been on it since the year it started at my alma mater)... brief reports about dive conditions here and a number of my underwater images.

Not on FB although I have been under pressure from a few dive buddies to open an account ..... maybe one day ..... not!

I post pictures regularly on FB and this is the medium I use to share some of my diving elated info with local divers as well as non diving friends who are very interested about an environement that is unfamliar to them except what they might see on TV. My posts on FB are also a little bit more personal on FB than here as the vast majority of my ''friends'' are people I have also met in person which is not the case here.

I dropped facebook a few years ago after reading one too many articles in business rags about folks losing their jobs over something they or even a friend posted on that site. Not like scubaboard is any more private, but when I review prospective employees I do get a copy of everything they've ever posted on facebook and I don't get a copy of everything they've posted on various internet message boards.

Facebook may be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but no website is worth risking a career over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom