• 500 - 1000 - I'm a diving guru

Votes: 55 8.0%
  • 1000+ I taught Cousteau

Votes: 25 3.6%
  • 2000+ Cousteau, that whipper snapper

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • 3000+ I dived with the dinosaurs

Votes: 18 2.6%
  • 0 - I don't have any idea how many dives I've made.

Votes: 3 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This question is kinda like asking "How many dates have you been on, versus how many of them do you remember?" (or how many have you LEARNED SOMETHING from?).
What's the sense of doing a dive, or even logging it, unless you didn't come away from it without benefitting in some way (and I'm talking scuba here, not dates, so get it straight!!).

I got the idea from my flying-instructor. Each time as we were taxiing back to the hanger, he'd ask me to tell him what I learned. A couple times, after doing repetitive tough-and-go practice over-and-over again in the hot summer sun, I told him I didn't learn anything because i was too uncomfortable. He'd say I just wasted his and my time that afternoon in that case.

Got me to thinking that maybe I really didn't do a dive if I didn't get anything out of it. Did i learn? Did I enjoy myself? Or was i just racking up numbers so's I could brag to others about it?

I know some divers that only want to get the c-cards. Don't care what rating, or what agency, they just want the stack of cards. Why? I'd 'give' them the cards for free (if I was allowed-to), but I want them to benefit from the education.

So, please remember that when you go thru yer logbook and tally up those dives. And make each one count! Does a pool-dive count where you finally got the hang of buoyancy? Does a 7-minute blue-water dive count when you learn that you can indeed do a C-ESA from 90 feet and survive? Did you learn anything?

On the other hand, and again just like flying, don't 'pencil-whip' your logbook. It's extremely easy to spot someone who says they have 8-zillion dives under their weightbelt when they've really only got 18 dives to their name. Ain't good for their crediblity on the boat. Better to fess up, and learn as ya go.

I've been diving for logs.. "Hardwood logs" does that count?

I quit using my log book after I filled 4 of them but I would guess about 1000 give or take 100 most of my dives are on the same 20 shipwrecks. Most dives are "work" dives, checking moorings, guiding newbies, cleaning Zebra Mussels, ect. but once a year I go south, I still log them just for the memories.

Logs are a personal thing, they represent part of ourselves. Personally, I log every open water dive I make. I do not log pool dives. A very dear friend of mine logs pool dives, but does not count them toward her total. That actually sounds like an excellent system to me. Another friend, who's made several times as many dives as have I, logs her fun dives, but not her work dives. Most of her dives are mot in her personal log. Don't ask to see her log and don't even think about reaching for it without permission.

"How many dates have you been on, versus how many of them do you remember?"

I'd remember more of my dates if I'd logged them. I do not have a clear memory of all my dives. When I read my logs of years ago, those dives which I've documented more completely are the ones I remember. Those I've glossed over don't come to mind. My log is an aid to my memory.

"What's the sense of doing a dive, or even logging it, unless you didn't come away from it without benefitting in some way"

I don't believe I've ever made a dive from which I didn't benefit. That benefit may have been collecting dinner, enjoying the beauty of a reef, the excitement of a close encounter, the thrill of exploring a wreck, the enjoyment of spending time with a good friend, the excitment that comes from watching a new diver see something for the 1st time, the relaxation that comes from being totally alone in low viz, saving some poorly trained diver's life, additional experience....................

The benefits are there, you just may not see them.

"was i just racking up numbers so's I could brag to others about it?"

There's nothing to brag about. Keep diving and in time your numbers will be there. No matter what number you hit there's always someone with more. It's not about how many, it's about keeping a record. A log is like a diary, it's meaningless if it's not true.

I have only logged 48 fresh water dives.

Over 200.
I lost some of my old logs, so I have to guess.
I also went a few years without logging :eek:
I didn't really get good with the log-book until I went Pro. So the real # of dives is actually higher. Also, when doing O/W checkouts, I lump all the days dives into one.

With 20 dives under my belt I love to log my dives!!! Just found a palm pilot program and plan to do both paper and palm. Waiting for the novelty to wear off but love to look back!!!!

No Show
:cheers:

ahhh,,, thus the reason for the post. Such diversity in this board. (some of whom are a tad bit uptight I see)

anyhow... It's just interesting to see how many people actually keep track of thier dives. I do it for a number of reasons. One being that with all of the worlds science and technology there is much about diving that is not yet understood. Human physiology is quite different from person to person, and the "long term" effects of diving have never really been proven/disproven.

Logging all of my dives helps ME to understand my own physiology, especially when something goes wrong. Some of you may have read my post about my headaches, which even as an experienced diver I still get.

One other reason is that I am still seeking a career in diving and it's a good thing to keep track of for just that reason alone. At least until you make it as a professional and it doesn't matter any longer.

So, log em er not. It's up to you, but I think it's a good habit that all divers should take seriously. The events leading up to a dive accident can give a lot of information on what really happened.

Dive safe :D

im 17 i have 110 logged dives some night dives are in there and ive been certified for 5 years

Back
Top Bottom