How Many NDL fun dives do you do per day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have done up to 4- 5 or maybe 6 dives/ day. Whether a live aboard or locally at the quarry. I will usually only do that many dives on nitrox & it does tend to kick my butt after about the 4th dive. The hardest part is staying within my NDL on those types of dive days. I would say 6 dives is about my maximum.

The live aboard trips I had logged ten dives per day were on the Truth and Vision out of Santa Barbara, California. These were on two separate trips around 1988. I recall being a fairly new diver and that I got in the water anytime the gate was open. Diving with an ORCA Skinny Dipper to keep track of NDL.

It all seems too aggressive to me now and am wondering if diving has become more conservative over the years. I suppose hunting lobster and abalone and filling limits is also a factor when diving more aggressively than one should. I do not recall being overly tired or fatigued. I did log filling limits on lobster and abalone on those days. I also do not recall diving beyond what my ORCA Skinny Dipper would consider NDL. The ORC Model is somewhat aggressive compared to current computers.

Ozzi, as long as you have your log out, I am curious about how long the dives and surface intervals were.

both days with ten dives show similar times. Here's one of them

December 12, 1989

1st dive 6:42am to 88ft for 21 min.
2nd dive 8:25am to 67ft. for 24 min.
3rd dive 10:15am to 56ft. for 22 min.
4th dive 11:35am to 46ft. for 30 min.
5th dive 1:20pm to 44ft for 22 min.
6th dive 2:45pm to 44ft. for 26 min.
7th dive 4:20pm to 40ft. for 31 min.
8th dive 5:52pm to 36ft for 15 min.
9th dive 7:40pm to 48ft. for 24 min.
10th dive 9:05pm to 42ft. for 19 min.

Water Temp was logged at 52degrees F

I noted good day with lobsters and full limits on Red Abs with rock Scallops thrown in with the mix, If I remember right that would be four abs per day at the time or maybe it's two abs per day, four per two day trip. Anyway, apparently it was good day for hunting. Dive sites were Channel Islands - San miguel, Santa Rosa Islands abourd the Vision from Santa Barbara.

No mention of computer indicating "over'' the limit. I still dive with the ORCA skinny Dipper though just as a back up to a mares nemo titanium. The ORCA is actually way more agressive than the Mares Nemo when I compare them side by side on a dive trip.

It's been such a long time so I can't even remember the actual day. Just what I have on my log book. Was diving with a bunch from Scuba Duba Dive out of Reseda. I don't believe the shop is still around. Anyone familiar with the shop?

I'm 57, overweight but in fair shape - mountain bike 2 - 3 times a week and gym 2 days a week. 5 on a liveaboard last yr (GBR) and 4 - 5 per day at cocoview (includes night dives) but that is using nitrox. On air I'm tired at over 3 per day.

I don't really count dives but bottom time. For local diving if I make two dives on a day I'll make two dives of 45 min. If I do one then I'll do one of 90 min and call it a day. Longest one to date was 135 minutes or so. On wreck dives I try to make one of 80+ min (usually a deco dive incluing 20-odd minute hangs) and one short one within the NDL's but our wreck diving is intensive and that's a long day.

On vacation in the tropics I'll spend anywhere up to about 5 hours on the bottom per day. That's enough for me. Much more than that and I'd get pretty tired after a week or so at that tempo.

R..

Here at home 2 is a good number with run times averaging over an hour it turns into a full day real fast. Load, drive, set-up, dive, SI, dive pack, drive eat, cleanup.... you now the drill. After work or it's real cold 1 is good. On Bonaire 4 was a piece of cake.

Dive based on your level of fitness and always lean toward the conservative side. If you do not dive regularly 2 dives is all you should do. It's not a contest!!! Slow down and enjoy the dives, and be safe.

:)

Captain Rich

It depends on the situation and the dive profile ... but the most I've done in a single day was six. I've done it a few times, both in warm and cold water.

In Bonaire and Roatan these were fun dives ... typically averaging 60-70 minutes per dive. The schedule went - pre-dawn dive, breakfast, two dives, lunch, two dives, dinner, night dive. All were using EAN32.

Here in Puget Sound I did six dives per day twice this year, teaching back-to-back AOW classes (3 dives per class). Most of the dives were relatively shallow (40 fsw or less), and with a duration of between 35 and 45 minutes. Still, it made for a long day (7 AM to 10 PM) in a drysuit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom