how many video programs do I need

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuubaadoo:
I got that. Perrone from other post I have seen you write I take it you do quite a bit of this. Which programs do you recommend and you mentioned that you some times use 2 programs, is that just because each program is dedicated and does a better job at what it does?

Part of my job at work is video production of corporate videos. This includes setting up recording including video, audio, lighting, etc. Then capturing, editing, and producing video media including CDs, DVDs, and streaming files. These are then distributed in house, out of house, and for broadcast on occasion.

I began this using Canopus Hardware and software. And migrated from that to Adobe Premiere. Then I moved to Sony Vegas Suite, which is what I use today. That includes editing, as well as DVD authoring software. I am EXTREMELY happy with Vegas and it's ability to incorporate capturing, editing, HD, Titling, audio recording and editing, "sweetning", and DVD authoring into one nice package. I think it's the best thing going on the PC platform. If I was on a Mac, I'd be using Final Cut Pro.

I use a few other programs for specialty reasons. VirtualDub is a freeware program that manipulates AVI files and has plug-in filters to do all kinds of neat things. I use it primarily when I want to de-interlace video before bringing it into Vegas. There are nice filters in it for de-noising video, and doing other things. So I use it as a pre-processor. Sometimes I use it to manipulate cadence of video if I want 24 frampes per second, and my video is 29.97. Or to convert PAL cadence to NTSC or vice versa. And you can't beat the price.

I also have specialy programs for creating Flash video files. And one that lets me create video suitable for iPod use.

For my money, on the PC, it's Vegas/DVD Architect, or Premiere Pro/Whatever Adobe product does DVDs now.

ronscuba:
If you are just doing this for yourself, skip making a DVD. Record your edited video back to your camcorder tape and watch it on an HDTV. Way better than burning to a standard resolution DVD.

Really runs up the hour meter though, and it's hard on the heads. I use my camcorder to record only. Then the tape gets removed and the camera put away. Fortunately, I now record to HDD, so no more tape or tape problems!

scuubaadoo:
Recently got a free copy of ULead VideoStudio8 with a purchase. When I went to the web site it had a program for authoring a program converting your video to dvd format. I just got a Sony HC7, Amphibico housing and Salvo lights. How many programs do I really need to convert output from the mini tape in the camera to a dvd I can give some one to play on their computer/ dvd player.

TIA

First thing is that your camcorder is HD and Ulead 8 cannot capture HD, but you can set up the camcorder to down convert to SD (look in owner manual for this).
My sugestion is for you to upgrade to Ulead 11+ that can handels HD very well and can burn DVD's also.
Paul

PerroneFord:
Really runs up the hour meter though, and it's hard on the heads. I use my camcorder to record only. Then the tape gets removed and the camera put away. Fortunately, I now record to HDD, so no more tape or tape problems!

Yeah, I considered that. I bought a Canon HV10 to serve as my editing/playback deck and a mini "on-the-go" cam. My FX7 is just for shooting, although the HV10 does take pretty nice topside video too.

My thinking is if you have an HDV camcorder don't downgrade the resolution to DVD if you don't have to. I bought an HDV cam to view HDV footage, not SD. I just connect my little HV10 to an HDTV and away I go.

I agree completely with you on the not downgrading the image. I'm wondering if the newer DVD Players won't play DVD ROM. If they will, you can write out to that in WMV-HD maybe. And connect your computer to your TV.

I'm kinda playing with this idea now at work and seeing how it will work.

I've been reading about some people burning short HDV videos to standard DVD's and playing them on a play station and HD-DVD players. Sounds like a good temporary solution until HD burners come out.

For now, I'll stick with my HDV camcorder as my player. It's quick and relatively painless. I even bring it to my friends/family's homes to show HDV videos on their HDTV's.

PerroneFord:
Then I moved to Sony Vegas Suite, which is what I use today. That includes editing, as well as DVD authoring software. I am EXTREMELY happy with Vegas and it's ability to incorporate capturing, editing, HD, Titling, audio recording and editing, "sweetning", and DVD authoring into one nice package. I think it's the best thing going on the PC platform.
That's nice to hear that you do this for a career and are happy with Vegas. It makes me feel like I am on the right track :) . I am just getting started with video processing and I chose Vegas too. It is extremely easy to use and has a great built in tutorial.

ronscuba:
I've been reading about some people burning short HDV videos to standard DVD's and playing them on a play station and HD-DVD players. Sounds like a good temporary solution until HD burners come out.

For now, I'll stick with my HDV camcorder as my player. It's quick and relatively painless. I even bring it to my friends/family's homes to show HDV videos on their HDTV's.

This is the way to go for now. But what do you mean "until HD burners come out"? They've been available for quite a while now in both formats.

But for now, Making a basic DVD with just a menu structure that points to the content in the extras area gives you a LOT of room to put WMV-HD contents. I've seen several IMAX releases done like this including my favorite, "Journey into Amazing Caves". It's cheap, it's easy, and allows people to watch HD on their computer or TV screen with appropriate hookup.

charris400:
That's nice to hear that you do this for a career and are happy with Vegas. It makes me feel like I am on the right track :) . I am just getting started with video processing and I chose Vegas too. It is extremely easy to use and has a great built in tutorial.

Don't misunderstand me. I am NOT a video pro for a living. I do video as part of my job at work, but it is not my "profession". I'd LOVE to toss aside my other work responsibilities and just do video, but I don't think that's gonna happen! :)

Back
Top Bottom