how many video programs do I need

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL! Semi-something! :) Oddly enough, I did just get a call about a video I shot last month. It was an awards acceptance speech for the recipient who could not attend. Apparently, some members of the audience want more copies of the DVD for use as a training tool and one for a historical society.

Kinda proud of that.

"reasonable price" is always relative. The $600-$1000 HD burners are VERY reasonable to someone sitting in front of a $2M editing suite. Even for advanced hobbyist shooting weddings with multiple cameras, it's not a bad deal. For the guy with a $600 camera trying to make home movies, the cost is going to be staggering.

PerroneFord:
LOL! Semi-something! :) Oddly enough, I did just get a call about a video I shot last month. It was an awards acceptance speech for the recipient who could not attend. Apparently, some members of the audience want more copies of the DVD for use as a training tool and one for a historical society.

Kinda proud of that.

You should be... congratulations!

PerroneFord:
"reasonable price" is always relative. The $600-$1000 HD burners are VERY reasonable to someone sitting in front of a $2M editing suite. Even for advanced hobbyist shooting weddings with multiple cameras, it's not a bad deal. For the guy with a $600 camera trying to make home movies, the cost is going to be staggering.

Exactly. You can only do what you can afford (or justify). I also do video production at my work (that means I make the occasional training video). I use a Canon HV20 and Adobe Production Studio, but I usually end up downconverting the SD, mainly because its easier to work with and I literally have nothing to display it on to take full advantage of the HD resolution. Also, the new consumer level HD camcorders take beautiful SD footage, better than almost all prosumer SD cameras, they just lack the manual controls. I do, however, save the raw HD footage so that I can utilize it later if I want to.

I will eventually begin to take more advantage of the HD capabilities, but for now I'm fine with SD.

I've been using Adobe Premiere 6.5, and was planning to upgrade to Pro. I used a version of Pro and the tryout for Premiere Elements 3.0 - and found that 95% of what I used in the Pro version was there in the more basic Elements edition - including DVD authoring, and support for HD when I upgrade my camera equipment. I just purchased a copy of Elements 3.0 from J&R Music world, quoted as $49.99 after a $20 rebate...opened the box just last night, and was happily surprised to find out it's actually a $30 rebate - dropping the cost to only $39.99. I've used many low-end apps from the Ulead, Pinnacle, Nero and even the Windows Movie Maker - and in my opinion none equal the features of Elements. I realize that the Pro version, Vegas, and Avid are technically more advanced, capable applications - but $40 for a fully licensed, capable video application is a pretty damn good deal.

As a note - Elements certainly has capture capability - but regardless of what application you use I recommend Scenalyzer 4.0. If you combine a good naming process for your tapes with that app's ($29 I believe) tape index and batch capturing capabilities - you'll be well on your way to a more accessible, functional tape library.

I purchased Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 just so I could edit the HDV footage from my new HC-7. I've found it appears to have a lot of problems that I've never seen in any of the earlier versions of Premiere that I've used (6.5 is the current one on my video editing machine).

On the positive side, it is almost crash proof compared to my experience with earlier versions. I've only had it freeze up twice on me. It captures my HDV footage to a 5,400 rpm hard drive without a problem (big surprise, although I will add the 7,200 rpm USB hard drive to it soon... just been using it for other projects).

HOWEVER, here are some of the problems I've seen editing with Elements 3.0:

1. If you edt in the view finder (defining in and out points there and dragging the clip to the timeline), it strangely cuts the clips at sub-frame levels! I have no idea how it does that, but when I place two clips together in a butt edit, there is a subframe level gap between them that I have to go back in and trim on the timeline. Once these gaps are trimmed out on the timeline, everything is fine, but this adds an extra step to the editing process just to clean up this error.

2. If I am not careful in placing a new sequence on the timeline, it is fairly easy for the placement of that sequence to clip the previous or following sequence, creating tiny (or very large if I'm not careful) slivers that also have to be edited out. When editing this way in Premiere 6.5, I don't remember ever having this problem. Perhaps there is a default I should change so it can't happen?

3. When exporting portions of the timeline to AVI, MPEG or other files, I find that even if I am very careful to place the in and out points at the beginning and ending of the clips to export, I get one frame from the preceeding sequence in the exported portion. This requires that I edit the one frame out at the beginning of each exported segment when I do any final production. Never happened with earlier Premiere versions (unless I was very careless in defining the in or out points).

I'll have to look at my notes on a computer at home to come up with the rest. I'm compiling a list since I intend to write tjhe appropriate people at Sony to ask about these issues.

"Other than that," Premiere Elements 3.0 has worked pretty well... but these are significant issues to me.

Dr. Bill,
I think that there is nothing wrong with the software. From what I've red about how this HD camcorders record is that in MPEG2 format out of the 30 frames that are in one second of recording, practically only frame 1 and frame 15 are fully recorded or every 1/2 of a second a frame is fully recorded, the rest of the frames in between are just small files with data that changed from one frame to the next. In DV format each frame is recorded .
Maybe someone more knowledgeable can give a more accurate explanation.
Paul

Paul, that may be the case, but I would think good software would account for that and Adobe certainly puts out some good stuff. Also, the gaps in between are of differing lengths on different segments.

By the way, when I edit on the timeline itself, I think all the segments created are of proper "full frame" length and butt edit fine.

Back
Top Bottom